Options

Self Study

avigirlavigirl Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys...and girls,

I'm doing self study, I have learnkey as well as the Windows' XP Professional Sybex book. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding self study, I find I get too distracted at home so I was thinking about going to the library but was hoping I could get some suggestions from anyone on this forum. I find my mind starts to wonder a bit...argh!

Thanks in advance!
Avi

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The most important thing for self-study for MS exams is too built a lab in which you can practice. You can download Virtual PC and install one or more Windows XP clients and a Windows 2003 server, but at the very least you will need to practice the features and technologies listed in the exam objectives. That will make it a lot easier to retain the information you learn from the CBT and book. Also, make sure you get a good set of practice questions to test yourself on your progress and weak areas.

And just in case:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/microsoft/70-270.shtml
  • Options
    -EOS--EOS- Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I self studied with Exam Cram and MS Press. The key is to practice what you're learning on an XP machine so you understand what you're reading!!!
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Those Learnkey CBTs are wicked though. If you don't like books, I would put these top of the range that I have seen. Very expensive though but wow!

"HI... I'M MIKE STORM!" .. You just wanna have his babies and I'm married with a wife and 3 kids... The Cisco ones are great and the CWNP ones too. Either this guy is a great actor and reading from a script or he is bright as a button. Man.. lose the goatie though!
    Kam.
  • Options
    5no-yt5no-yt Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you think the tech notes contain most of the 'important' info that needs to be rememberd... so if i read a chapter in my MS book, do the examples etc.. then come back at a later date and use the tech notes to revise this would be cool?
    Security is like exercise: everyone talks about it, but not many people do it.
    -J.R.Purser
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    That wouldn't be a bad idea....I've found that just like kaminsky said practice things you aren't familiar with...when I was studying for this exam I used the sybex book and it was pretty well written and looking at the technotes would have been a big help....best of luck to ya!
  • Options
    5no-yt5no-yt Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    another thing... do you have access to help and support when sitting the exam?
    was just looking at winnt32 switches and was wonder if i have to memorise alllll of these or could i jump into the help and support and have a look if im havin trouble remebering how the switch is layed out?

cheers.
    -Chap
    Security is like exercise: everyone talks about it, but not many people do it.
    -J.R.Purser
  • Options
    manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    I agree with the previous posters, you want to get a lab going to practice what you learn. I have virtual pc and I find it very helpful to get hands on when learning the concepts...for instance it's an easy thing to read in a study guide or book "turn off simple file sharing or you won't be able to properly manage permissions" and it's another thing to go into a file or folder and see what you can do with simple file sharing enabled, and what you can do with simple file sharing disabled. Set up a lab, you will get much more out of the cert with some type of hands on.