Options

jagacharajajagacharaja Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I must say I'm overwhelmed by all the info that's on this website. I'm an undergrad (senior) student specializing in MIS, and quite rightly my professor has been urging our whole class to start taking certification exams. I came across this website via surfing the net, and I think it's the best find I've ever come across.

I will try to sort of "catch up" on all the stuff that 've been "missing" until now in the near future, but until then I guess I have a few questions/thoughts that can only help me if any of you care to reply. Here goes:

-- I'm planning to use "MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Exam 70-210, Second Edition" for this exam...how good/bad of a choice is that?

-- For a first timer like me who has been enjoying the current "Networking Essentials" course, how much time do you guys think is just abt right to study for and take the 70-210?

-- What's the "Transcender" stuff that everyone seems to be talking abt...??

-- Any suggestions/tips would be more than welcome ppl.

I know you must be thinking...here goes another naive kid on the block...well, I guess that's me as of now!!

Thanks for your anticipated help, and I look forward to interacting on this stupendous information portal.

Regards,

J

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to TechExams!

"MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Exam 70-210, Second Edition" - make sure it is the 2nd edition or later. the 1st edition was terrible.

By "Network Essentials" do you mean a general networking class or material from the old NT 4.0 Exam? General networking will lay a foundation for the 210 exam, but the exam covers specifics to 2000 Pro. If your class used 2000 in the labs for practice, that would help a lot for the exam.

Transcender is a practice test provider. They are not cheap, but a lot of people consider them the best for exams 210, 215, 216, 217.

Advice? Setup a lab, so that you can get hands-on when preparing for an exam. Don't rely in only one study resource. Setup a lab, so that you can get hands-on when preparing for an exam.

Don't worry about asking a lot of questions, that why there are websites like this one.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    tiggertigger Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the wonderful world of total insanity. Just kidding. Hey, everyone has to start somewhere. Besides, you found the best site available to help you through just about any cert related question.

Take your time, some people get it quicker than others, and if your stuck, there are people here that can help you along.

Good luck.
  • Options
    ajs1976 wrote:
    By "Network Essentials" do you mean a general networking class or material from the old NT 4.0 Exam? General networking will lay a foundation for the 210 exam, but the exam covers specifics to 2000 Pro. If your class used 2000 in the labs for practice, that would help a lot for the exam.

Naaw it's more of a general networking course. We do have some opportunities to "fool around" w/the computers in the lab, but sadly it isn't much...I'm gonna see if I can get hold of a couple of "junk" computers and try using the 2k advanced server as much as I can...

J
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    I don't want to insult your intelligence but in my advice would be to start with the A+ and the Network+ certifications first. They build a good fundamental starting point. I currently am an IST major and from what I've seen in my studies the level that they are teaching the information is no where near as in-depth as it should be and people in my classes are struggling to understand the very basics that are covered more completely while studying for the A+ and Network+. Like I said I in no way want to insult anyones intelligence but it is a very good start and I'm sure you will learn a lot more things than you have learned in your college studies that will help you when it comes to the more advanced tests like the MS or Cisco.

Also try to build a lab for you to play with as soon as possible. I bought a couple of refurb dells at a pretty good price and they had all the horsepower that was necessary for the situations that I needed to practice.

I personally am a HUGE fan of transcenders. Their tests difficult with great and in-depth explanations on why the answers are correct. Something I try to use everytime I am taking a test.

Also take a look at the sybex certification books. Very good at teaching the material by test objective, and very good hands on labs to work through.

Just my 2 cents.....
  • Options
    Hey Lexx,

What you say does make sense, but looks like this is where I'm gonna have to start 'caus that's the way our prof wants it...thanks for your input though...

J
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    Good luck with you studies, you'll find that after you get the first one under you belt the rest seem to follow suit.
  • Options