Options

Jagged the big one!!!

plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
Picture this...

For 4 years I was doing things from helpdesk, desktop support, LAN admin, backups, assett managment and reporting to business cases and a bit of programming. For over a year in this period, I was the only person looking after about 450+ users.

I was doing this for 49K AUD. I don't know how much that it is in USD but for those duties (and doin' the work of three people), I would say it was not enough.

Last week I had an interview for a senior position. It's closer to where (in terms of location) I want to be and it's paying 69K. It's primarily desktop support and I think I will some junior guys underneath me.

I was rung up by the supervisor and I was told I am the preferred candidate - just need a police check to go through.

I'm stoked. I've been all-teeth the whole weekend. :D

I can't wait to resign from this position. I wanna see the look on the face of the manager I work under. icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Hard work pays off. Let us know how the new opportunity works out for you.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    liteheddedlitehedded Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    can someone do the math for me?
    what's that in USD?
    and congrats!
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    69,000.00 AUD

=

55,865.80 USD
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    Congrats man.......... well done!
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    69,000.00 AUD

=

55,865.80 USD

Is that a good salary in the States?
  • Options
    elover_jm wrote:
    Congrats man.......... well done!

Thanks.

I can't wait 'til I start at the new place. I haven't mentioned anything here at my current work.

I have a meeting to attend today for some project work that's on. A few big-wigs will there.

I have to organise the roll out and installation of thin client terminals, printers and other hardware across 28 sites across the state.

I also have to arrange new user accounts and printer queues for all the users - it turns out there will more than 450. Maybe closer to 1000 users now when we merge with other business units.

I might just take my resignation letter along to the meeting!
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For 4ish years, I'd say it's a pretty good chunk of change. Of course, it depends on where you live. Living in a place like Chicago or New York will be substantially more. Although speaking in terms of averages, it's definitely a good amount to live comfortably.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    icroyal wrote:
    For 4ish years, I'd say it's a pretty good chunk of change. Of course, it depends on where you live. Living in a place like Chicago or New York will be substantially more. Although speaking in terms of averages, it's definitely a good amount to live comfortably.

I been in IT for over 10 years now but this last position was the first where I did enterprise desktop support. Before then I worked in a computer shop, did some project work and had a year off overseas as well as do a year of helpdesk.
  • Options
    drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    plettner wrote:
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    69,000.00 AUD

=

55,865.80 USD

Is that a good salary in the States?

For a Senior Help Desk Support position, with reports? I'd say that's probably average or above.
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    55,865.80 USD = 29,403 English Pounds (will work in USD from here)

Thats a very high salary for helpdesk (even helpdesk manager for a large organisation) in the UK. Helpdesk in uk is typically 28,500 USD (obviously UK are paid in real money) to 47,500 USD typically.

34K USD - 47k USD for system support in the UK

Above that it is managerial or much higher technical with managerial staying fairly limited and technical skyrocketing once you certify and experience up.

This is all based on salary. Contractors obviously get more due to the cra p they have to put up with. Highly technical contractors rake it in though... Really, really rake it in. Standard pc/server support is 50/hour USD and ccna+ (with exp) starts at about 67/hour USD... With exp, ccnp/ccsp ... swoon!

No offence but the same cannot be said for MS certs. Some helpdesk jobs have starting requirements for MCSE in the UK. (obviously the management have no clue what they actualy really need on a typical helpdesk)

To put this in contrast... SAP Engineers are typically 1,900 USD per day. We are going wrong somewhere!
    Kam.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! And yet, that is a very good salary for Sr. Support.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Just an update...

I'm waiting for the necessary police checks to go through before they can formally offer me the position. The police check's been in for about a week and can sometimes take up to 2.

I don't have anything to worry about (I hope icon_redface.gif ) - I currently work in a similar organisation that requires police checks as well whcih would've been done routinely.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Sorry to dig this post back up but I have finally started with the new organisation and it was the best move I ever made. The people are laid back and pretty cool, the view from our building is great, the stress level has instantly dropped, and I don;t have to drive as much as I work closer to home. It's a tick in every box! :)

However, a person who works for this place also applied for the position I got and he's crusty that I got it over him. he was an internal applicant.

He's put an appeal in to a government tribunal. I think he'll be unsuccesful because I know I had certifications which none of these guys have (such as ITIL, MCDST, Server+, etc). Even if he were successful, I beleive the organisation would need to make a 2nd senior position available for him.

The guy is nice bloke but he's just shi%$y he wasn't able to move up to a senior position internally. I don't take it personally.

As I've said before - don't ask, "should I complete xyz certification?". Just do it. One day it will pay off. I was told by the team leader taht was one of the reasons they chose me as I actively kept my certs up.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Glad you like your new position.

Stay alert about the situation with the guy who wanted your job, but don't let it bother you too much. He's going to do what he thinks is best for him first and foremost as well he should. Be professional and least and hopefully you can build a good relationship with him. I was in a similar situation once being a new hire for a position someone internal wanted. It took a good 5 or 6 months before he warmed up to me, but it all ended up OK. And he finally left and found a position more in line with what he was looking for which was better for everyone.

That is probably what will happen in this case.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    And he finally left and found a position more in line with what he was looking for which was better for everyone.

That is probably what will happen in this case.

I get the same feeling.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Plettner - sorry I haven't piped in with my "Congrats" until now.

Sounds like you landed a nice gig. I also love my job, but I have no view. I work in a "Bomb Proof" building with no windows icon_sad.gif

I can work right through a hurricane if necessary.

I wish you great success in your new position! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.