Options

Im Brutal - Failed twice

User_nameUser_name Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_sad.gif

I have done the exam 2wice and failed 2wice. I got 600's the first time and then 400's the 2nd time around (dont ask! ! ). I have just been studying the microsoft text but only for a month.

Should I sign up for transcender aswell or just continue to use the MS book?

HELP NEEDED icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Transcenders is not what you need at the current moment. It sounds like you need to go back, revamp your study skills, and go read the book again and perhaps another book. Are you practicing the things you read? Practice is the most essential thing to getting the material you read to stick in your head. Perhaps you should be purchasing a product such as CBT Nuggets to help. CBT Nuggets is a video training series that is highly respected in the certification industry. You can check out the 70-270 video series here

As for revamping your study habits/methods, only you can really do that depending on what is best for you. It defintiely does sound like something needs to change. Once you get your habits/method changed, and study properly for the material, you can then use something like Transcenders to test your knowledge to see IF you are ready. You should definitely NOT use it to study.

The method I use to study:
    1. Get my feet wet with CBT Nuggets even if I don't know the topic.
    2. Begin reading my main book
    3. While reading, I will use sticky notes and use them as a bookmark when I want to review information that spans >1 page. If the information is a paragraph or so, I will summarize it into my own words and write it into a notebook.
    4. Every so often, even while I'm reading, I will go back to my notebook and read what is in there.
    5. I will always do the chapter questions. If I get something wrong, I make sure I understand why, and if needed, I will go back and review that information. I also try to understand why the wrong answers were incorrect.
    6. I then finish the book and then use either an e-book or use a hardcover to review information.
    7. I then review any CBT Nuggets when I want some extra clarification.
    8. I then use a practice exam package such as Transcenders which tests me on my readiness. I'll warn you though, do not use this unless you feel you are completely ready. After the 1st usage, you have many of the questions/answers in your head which won't properly test your readiness your second time around.

Hope this helps
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Can you tell us more about your background? Are you in school? What are you doing now? Why do you want to get certified? Have you only been using the MS texts or is there something else you were using?
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    CosmocatCosmocat Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the following to prepare:

* MindLeaders E-learning
    * Sybex
    * Microsoft Training kit (did not spend to much time with that book).
    * Exam CRAM
    * Exam CRAM study questions
    * Preplogic MEGA guide
    * Info I found in this superb forum
    * Free demos (uCertify, Peplogic, SelfTest etc)

One book isn't enough and you must be prepared to spend a LOT of money on the cert (e-learning, several books, trancender test prep etc).

BEST OF LUCK :)
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    Cosmocat wrote:

One book isn't enough and you must be prepared to spend a LOT of money on the cert (e-learning, several books, trancender test prep etc).

BEST OF LUCK :)

I disagree on this... Granted I haven't taken it yet, but I think with a valid copy of XP, the MS Press book, and maybe the Sybex if you want a second text...

Money shouldn't really be an issue with this exam, its knowing your way around XP inside and out.
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    User_name wrote:
    icon_sad.gif

I have done the exam 2wice and failed 2wice. I got 600's the first time and then 400's the 2nd time around (dont ask! ! ). I have just been studying the microsoft text but only for a month.

hey
    what books did you read?
    you might be a little rushy, meaning that you probably went to take the test without being ready..it happened to me on A+
    i am studying MCP to get my MCSA..so let me know if you need help
    Good Luck dude!
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    dvaughn81dvaughn81 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed my 270 today using only the technotes here, free cramsession notes I downloaded, and the testout software. The Microsoft books are very detailed, will cover everything, but very easy to get bored with. Also, take your time with the exam and read the questions very closely. Often, multiple answers are correct, but they want to know which is the most efficient solution. Good luck!
  • Options
    straightflopstraightflop Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I had to I could count a dozen+ things that were on that exam that were NOT answered in the MSPress book.

I could go on and on about that book. (270 only) The others are ok for the most part. Missing information. wrong ideas, 1 paragraph on Sysprep and I got about 7 questions on Sysprep. Crazy book.

I also used other training material though and was fine. Only missed 2 questions.

The point is you need some experiance. You need a VM and you need to:
      Do a sysprep Run the manager for your answer file Install IIS and play around with it mess with share and NFTS permmisions Read up on RIS

If you are not in the industry now, you should talk to someone that is. Like here but maybe in person if you have a friend that knows a little something.

You really need hands on to pass these exams. That's part of the requirements for the exams.
    "Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it"
  • Options
    The book isn't going to answer all the questions you will see on the exam. If that was the case, it would be a braindump. You NEED to use multiple materials including hands on/lab experience.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, Experience is key. Microsoft suggests at least 2 years of business experience with XP before taking the test. Might sound like a lot, so maybe 1 good solid year is adequate. Practice test software is more of a benchmark tool than a study tool, IMO. I tried to study everyday, and take a small practice test at the end to see if I have improved and check my progress. Then, I usually based my studying on the subjects I did weak in or I felt needed more explanations.

1 or 2 good books, hands-on experience, and good scores on practice tests should do you good.

And of course, the TECHNOTES :D

Sounds like your at the brink of knocking out this exam. Good luck dude. icon_cool.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icroyal wrote:
    The book isn't going to answer all the questions you will see on the exam. If that was the case, it would be a braindump. You NEED to use multiple materials including hands on/lab experience.

What books do you reccommend for 70-270?

I am using the MSPress book and it is OK. I just got the CBT Nuggets for this course and will be going through it.
  • Options
    sharptech wrote:
    icroyal wrote:

What books do you reccommend for 70-270?

I am using the MSPress book and it is OK. I just got the CBT Nuggets for this course and will be going through it.

Well, it's been a few years since I've taken the 70-270 exam, so I'm not quite sure what current books/editions are the best. When I did do the 70-270, I used MSPress, CBT Nuggets, and Transcenders. I also did quite a bit of hands on labs as well as the hands on experience I had.
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds good - thank you.