Options

VLAN Help?

zenlakinzenlakin Member Posts: 104
I am messing with our cisco 5509 switch and am messing with creating vlans. I am able to create my vlan which is vlan 10. I am able to set it active and I set the vtp mode to transparent. I moved a port to vlan 10 and I am on vlan 1 but we can’t communicate to each other. Is this only possible to communicate across vlans if you have a second switch setup and create a vlan 10 or did I just miss a step and it is possible to communicate across vlans on the same switch? Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Is the 5509 a layer 3 switch? If so you still have to set up sub interfaces to route through. If its a layer 2 you have to have a router to route between vlans.
  • Options
    This is going to sound dumb but I am just getting into this and how do I know if it is layer 2 or 3?
  • Options
    Google it. LOL
    It looks like its a layer 2, which means you can't do inter VLAN communication on it.
  • Options
    Darn, ok thanks. Looks like i get to take the vlan back out. So the only way I would be able to communicate accross vlans is to implement another switch and then setup the same vlan on that switch right?
  • Options
    No, you didn't read my post. You can not communicate from vlan to vlan without implementing a router. Another layer 2 switch would not do anything but allow you to talk within the same vlan on seperate switches. For example on switch 1 you have vlans 3, 4, and 5 and on switch 2 you have vlans 3,4, and 5. Each one of the nodes connected to the same vlan would be able to communicate to each other respectively. They wont be able to communicate to other nodes on other vlans though.
  • Options
    Yeah, after I submitted my post I realized my error. LOL!! I got it all now though. Have to just tell the boss we need a router for the office lab. LOL!!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you have a route processor module installed in the 5509?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan. Do you know how to set up trunking because you need to either trunk or have a switch port in each vlan you set up connected to the router.
  • Options
    Mike to the rescue. Not sure what a route processor module is so excuse my ignorance. Can you please enlighten us Mike?
  • Options
    no, we don't have a route processor module installed in the one in the lab. I do know how to do trunking once I have everything in place. Thanks a ton for your help.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you have an RSM?

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/75.html

The proper module installed in a 5000 series chassis can replace both the external router and stick and give you L3 capabilities. :D

I usually let one of my cats deal with the CatOS stuff.... but it's afternoon cat nap time.

Darby has (or had) a bunch of 5000s.... so he should be able to tell you some of the options for L3 capabilities. I was using other vendor switches back in the old days when Cisco bought another company to get the 5000s.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!