Options

few questions

Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
First of all, I see here alot that you should use a 2950 switch to prepare for CCNA - i'm just wondering why is it that say a 2924 won't work?

next up, i read an auction stating that you could use a 2511 router as a terminal server. this may be a dumb question but does that mean i could hook the console from my router to the asynchronous serial ports on the 2511 and then access the other routers through the 2511?

i had more, i just forgot them. icon_sad.gif
Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685

Comments

• Options
    initialdinitiald Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First of all, I see here alot that you should use a 2950 switch to prepare for CCNA - i'm just wondering why is it that say a 2924 won't work?

..and I keep hearing that you don't need a switch at all to prepare for the CCNA. Can someone please clarify?

Although, I guess it would make sense to get a switch if you are going to go after the more advanced certs (CCNP or higher).
    Regg'

"Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 2900s will work for the CCNA..... but you'll need a 2950 for the CCNP. The 2900s don't do the range command, and you don't do Multicast or QoS in the CCNA.

The 2509-2512 (8 or 16 Async and either Ethernet or Token Ring) use a DB68 Octopus cable to attach to the console ports.... they also have Octopus cables for modems.

The CCNA is Routing AND Switching.... so switches are useful. 3 Switches let you lab up all you'd need for the CCNA, but you could "get by" with only 2. Don't bother with a 1900 series switch.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I plan will be training for CCNP after CCNA classes are done, but i will also be doing some upgrades to the lab when i get there. as far as i know the CCNA will cover basic switching.

edit: thanks for clearing that up for me, (refering to post above). I have a 1900 switch on the way but i don't plan to use it for anything. looking for 29xx switches now.

I'll upgrade to 2950's once i get closer to CCNP classes.

• Options
    The CCNA is Routing AND Switching.... so switches are useful. 3 Switches let you lab up all you'd need for the CCNA, but you could "get by" with only 2. Don't bother with a 1900 series switch.

mikej412, thanks for clearing that up. Guess I'm going to have increase the amount I was budgeting for my CiscoKit. icon_cry.gif

Speaking of CiscoKits, I'm going to buy a Dual router Kit (and a switch or 2) and was wondering if I should buy:

Dual 2610 64M DRAM/16M Flash/IOS 12.3.19 IP/FW/IDS

or

Dual 3640 64M DRAM/16M Flash/IOS 12.4.12 IP/FW/IDS

I was thinking of going with the 2 2610s since they are more affordable but, since the new CCNP exam will test your knowledge of IOS 12.4 (yes, I'm thinking ahead icon_cool.gif ), I was going to go with the 3640s. I also 'heard' that you can load the 12.4 IOS onto the older 2610s. mikej412, can you give me some advice and also clear up the IOS confusion? icon_wink.gif Sorry if that IOS question has been asked before.
    Regg'

• Options
    The 1900 will let you do the OSPF DR/BDR elections... and I think it does do ISL trunking (which the 2950 and the rest of the world doesn't do). And it can be the 3rd switch for STP.
  • Options
    since i don't need a switch right away i'm going to hold off for a few weeks...

• Options
    I've found 4 2924's on ebay for less than $50 a peice right now... they end soon enough so i'm going to try and grab 3 of them..

whats the difference between the CISCO WS-C2924M-XL-EN SWITCH and the WS-C2924-XL? other than the first one is 2u..... ? can you add more ports or something or what?

• Options
    initiald wrote:
    I also 'heard' that you can load the 12.4 IOS onto the older 2610s.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21034
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    whats the difference between the CISCO WS-C2924M-XL-EN SWITCH and the WS-C2924-XL? other than the first one is 2u..... ?
    You usually want to get the EN version -- that way it already has the memory to run the Enterprise version of the software.... won't matter for the CCNA, but it may matter for the CCNP.
  • Options
    wow i'm flippin special man, i had a 2924 xl-en for $29.99 and all i had to do was hit place bid but instead i kept refreshing! for the next 2 i'm going to have to down a redbull :>

• Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    wow i'm flippin special man, i had a 2924 xl-en for $29.99 and all i had to do was hit place bid but instead i kept refreshing! for the next 2 i'm going to have to down a redbull :>

icon_lol.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    yay, won a 2924-XL. found another auction for 2 2924-xl-en's that ends soon enough and is cheap. hmmm.

• Options
    mikej412, thanks for the feedback!
    Regg'

• Options
    Ed RooneyEd Rooney Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:

I think I just spent more than that for the mouting ears for a 2900xl.
  • Options
    so how would you use a router like a 2511 as a terminal/access server? would you configure it and then telnet into it from a computer and then access the other routers from there?

• Options
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    so how would you use a router like a 2511 as a terminal/access server? would you configure it and then telnet into it from a computer and then access the other routers from there?
    Yep... configure and telnet and then access the other routers from the 2511

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/793/access_dial/comm_server.html
  • Options
    great link, thanks. i will pick on up next time i see a good deal for one (w/ cables) on ebay.

edit: lets expand on this. say i want to access this over the network via my laptop. i have a wrt54g linksys router/4port switch. so, do i connect the router to the switch via ethernet, configure it with a 192.168.1.x ip, and then should be able to telnet to the router and then get into routers connected to the 2511, right?

thanks for any help :)

• Options
    redgoblinredgoblin Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For Internet Connectivity:

Connect the 2511 into your Linksys (Crossover cable should do the trick for this). Make sure the Ethernet side of the 2511 is in the same subnet as the Linksys LAN side (I use 192.168.1.x for this at home).

You'll need to make sure the 2511 is configured properly to 'reverse' telnet into the other routers that make up your lab. Also, make sure the 2511 has your linksys LAN ip as the default gateway otherwise Telnet sessions to the 2511 from the outside won't work.

Finally, you'll need to make sure that you forward port 23 on your Linksys so that it passes Telnet connections to the 2511.

For Home network connectivity:

As above since all connections will be going via your Linksys