Options

switch firmware question

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
Can firmware be copied from one switch to another?

Comments

• Options
    emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I dont think that switches have tftp servers or xmodem capability to do that. I have 2 switches and 1 had a more recent versionof IOS on it so I just used a TFTP server on my laptop. Copy to the laptop from one and then from the laptop to the other.

JOn
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i don't know about the firmware but i'm sure the IOS can be... copy it to a TFTP server and then upload it to the other switch via TFTP. I think cisco has a free TFTP server that you can use...
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    You can serve ios via tftp from router or switch.

Global configuration mode.

command is: tftp-server {source}:{filename}
  • Options
    emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Inc wrote:
    You can serve ios via tftp from router or switch.

Well there you go, I had no idea they could do that. Every days a school day :D
  • Options
    I don't see any way of copying the firmware to a TFTP server. I have been through all the commands.

I have a 1900 series switch with V8.01.01 standard edition firmware. I have access to a 1900 series switch with enterprise edition firmware.

I see how that would work with a router but not my switch.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out the Updating Firmware Configuration doc from the Catalyst 1900/2820 Enterprise Edition SW Config Guide -- it may have the information you are looking for.

Firmware sounds like the "ROMMON software" in the chips on the newer hardware.... but I guess "back in the olden days" the menuing software stored on flash was called firmware.

If you're trying to upgrade, make sure you have enough memory in your switch. The Enterprise switches may have shipped with more memory then the plain switches.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gotta love the good old fashion firmware name :)

Any who, simple answer cut short yes.

As long as they are same model, ram/flash etc...

Also for a note thats probably not posted any where on this site would be
    the catalyst 3524-A series routers, which Cisco made for a limited time these
    switches had standard IOS images on them which did not support enterprise
    features such as switch clustering etc... but later on Cisco decided to do away
    with the 2 images and combine then so the newer 3500XL image will work on
    the 3500XL-A series switches and they DO have enterprise features...

I'm sure Cisco might might have done this to a few other switches or what not
    but google can be your best friend when trouble shooting crap like that lol...

Any who you can download free switch Firmware (IOS) from a link listed in this thread
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19766

The thread discusses alot of info pertaining to IOS versions, featuresets and etc...
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    I had already visited Cisco's site and looked for a firmware image. Their site says that none ( standard or enterprise ) is available for my switch (1924A to be specific).

I had also read the documentation on updating firmware and it all starts with downloading the image from Cisco first.

I was hoping that it could be downloaded from a switch to a TFTP server or from switch to switch. I just don't see that that is the case though.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The only TFTP upload option appears to be for backing up the configuration, not the firmware.

You can also tell the switch to accept a TFTP put.... but that doesn't help since you can't do the TFTP put from the other switch.

If you did get a cat1900EN bin file (latest/last version was 9.x), then you could use a tftp server (or router as a tftp server) and just do the upgrade from the firmware menu.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are using a 1900 Series Catalyst, then that switch line has already been served the EoS/EoL (End of Service/End of Life)

Meaning Cisco does not support nor provide updates and/or service for 1900 Series switches. The CCNA currently uses 2950 Series switches, but if you can get your hands on a Cisco 3500XL series switch, it will do everything the 2950 can and more, and 3500XL series switches tend to be cheeper then 2950's on ebay and the IOS is downloadable free via Cisco using a Guest CCO account.

The 2900XL Series switches will be enough to pass the CCNA as well but their are minor differences.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    The CCNA currently uses 2950 Series switches, but if you can get your hands on a Cisco 3500XL series switch, it will do everything the 2950 can and more, and 3500XL series switches tend to be cheeper then 2950's on ebay

We did some lab work with the 1924A in my Net Acad CCNA 1 class. I am in CCNA 2 now and haven't touch another switch in class yet.

I just looked on ebay, those switches "buy now" prices are way out of my range. I hate doing the bidding thing and probably would be out bid anyway.

Do the Net Acad in-class labs give you enough experience to handle the CCNA test(s)?

They better, I am spending enough ( too much ) on the classes. I hope they pay off.