Options

ccna simulator

sargesarge Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
can anybody tell me which one of the best simulator , i use boson netware simulator , but its not good, pls post me a good simulator which supports all commands and latest version.

Comments

• Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Hey Bud,

I dont know much about' sims, but
    nothings better then getting your hands on
    some real equipment.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sarge wrote:
    can anybody tell me which one of the best simulator , i use boson netware simulator , but its not good, pls post me a good simulator which supports all commands and latest version.
    Even though it has problems, Boson NetSim is the best simulator for the CCNA.

Dynamips has issues with doing the layer 2 switching stuff.... but is great for doing the "routing stuff." You can check out the Dynamips/Dynagen links in this thread.

The CCNA Forum FAQ has a " I don’t have any equipment should I buy a Simulator? " section.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    mikej412 wrote:
    sarge wrote:
    Even though it has problems, Boson NetSim is the best simulator for the CCNA.

Dynamips has issues with doing the layer 2 switching stuff.... but is great for doing the "routing stuff." You can check out the Dynamips/Dynagen links in this thread.

The CCNA Forum FAQ has a " I don’t have any equipment should I buy a Simulator? " section.

Mike, you should copy and paste your response into a word file so you dont have to write it. I've been here maybe 3 weeks and have seen you write out different variations of that at least 3-4 times already. icon_lol.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    markzab wrote:
    you should copy and paste your response into a word file so you dont have to write it. I've been here maybe 3 weeks and have seen you write out different variations of that at least 3-4 times already.
    I use notepad.... faster and easier to create the variation required. icon_lol.gif And I just saved that particular link on a server, since it goes directly to the post.... other times I just link to the thread when I can't find the saved link on my laptop.

Now all I have to do is find all my scrap files on all the different laptops and PCs (and Servers) and backup them to a server.

Hum.... I wonder if I snuck that particular link into the CCNA FAQ so I wouldn't have to look for it any more? NOPE... the L2 issues are keeping it out.

... and a keystroke macro to insert the CCNA FAQ/LINK could be useful.
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    icon_lol.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    StovokorStovokor Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been using both the Boson NetSim and the CCNA Network Visualizer from RouterSim. I have to say that I am partial to the CCNA Network Visualizer because of the interface. The one from Boson takes too long to setup and I have found that it is a bit buggy. I also have a problem with the fact that you can not easily add a router, switch, or connection into the Boson software, making network manipulation a pain. But Boson, less the aforementioned faults, allows for the configuration of some things that the CCNA Network Visualizer does not.

So long story short and hands down I would have to pick CCNA Network Visualizer because of the ease of use of the interface. The command set variations, while important, do not trump having a network interface that is easy to read and allows for network manipulation on the fly. And the commands that are missing or not allowed by the visualizer are not critical for (what I have read so far) passing the test...
  • Options
    What version is Network Visualizer on now?

I liked the interface better (for creating and adding hardware to networks), but in the "old days" commands would just stop working and nothing you could do would get it working again.... way more annoying then Boson.

I do remember they were much better about issuing bug fixes (again, in the "old days") .... but they never got to the ones that were bugging me the most.
  • Options
    Right now I am running the 5.0.03 load. I am new the certification arena so these are the only two that I have used so far. I have not run into the issue you mentioned before but I will make it a note to keep a look out.
  • Options
    Correction....I just upgraded so I am now on the 5.0.12 load
  • Options
    jrmcentjrmcent Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am running CCNA Network Visualizer 5.0.03 and I have to say I love it so far. I also have two real 2501's and a 1900 switch but with the simulator I have have a couple 2600's and a couple 2950's and I LOVE IT. Like Servord said, the interface is great and for what I am doing right now in the CCNA it has not limited me at all.
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why waste time on a simulator? Most simulators I've ever used have been limited in commands, debugging, troubleshooting, etc....

2500's is the cheep way to go :)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Why waste time on a simulator? Most simulators I've ever used have been limited in commands, debugging, troubleshooting, etc....

+1, pick up a pair of 2514s, 2 ethernet and 2 serial ports, what more could you need? (besides cables (serial, crossover, console) and transceivers)
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mgeorge27 wrote:

Donwload dynamips it has no command limitations... and emulates hardware and use the real IOS....
  • Options
    personapersona Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have tried all sims..Packet tracer v4 is the best from my experience.
    It has a disadvantage though..it does not support OSPF as of yet.
    Made by who? by Cisco systems inc itself.

So you decide.
  • Options
    how can packet tracer be the best for you if it soo limited ? :/
  • Options
    personapersona Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    they ALL have certain restrictions...with Packet tracer you can add modules to Routers, and do many other things like telnet, and TFTPing and so on other sims do not offer.

It is GUI, and always updated by Cisco itself.
  • Options
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Simulators use less electricity than a lab with real routers and switches.

Simulators give off less heat than a lab with real routers and switches.

Simulators can cost less than a lab of real routers and switches (the good switches -- 2950-12s).

Simulators let you switch between different configurations faster than a lab of real routers and switches.

Simulators travel easier (if you have a laptop) then an armload of real routers and switches.

Simulators don't clutter up your mind with access to lots of extra commands you don't need to know for the CCNA exam.

And if you ever had to choose between using a simulator or getting poked in the eye with a stick -- using a simulator probably hurts less. :D
  • Options
    all thats true if you're just studying to get peice of paper that says you're CCNA certified and want to pretty-up your resume... but what happens when you go to get a job and you don't have the internet and helpdocuments and things take longer and you're not sure what port is what and etc?

• Options
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    but what happens when you go to get a job and you don't have the internet and helpdocuments and things take longer and you're not sure what port is what and etc?
    That's when the people who only used simulators finally understand why a lot of people here recommend getting/using some real hardware when you first start out. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    but what happens when you go to get a job and you don't have the internet and helpdocuments and things take longer and you're not sure what port is what and etc?
    That's when the people who only used simulators finally understand why a lot of people here recommend getting/using some real hardware when you first start out. icon_lol.gif
    Yeah, i don't regret all them money i just spent on hardware one bit!

okay, 2 of those switches i didn't need to buy, but hell, that was a good deal!

now i'm saving up for a 3640 and 2950 for mid summer, and a server for early summer :)

• Options
    persona wrote:
    they ALL have certain restrictions...with Packet tracer you can add modules to Routers, and do many other things like telnet, and TFTPing and so on other sims do not offer.

It is GUI, and always updated by Cisco itself.

Persona have you ever used dynamips??
    in the routing part it has no limitations... and im sure packet tracer does have ALOT....
  • Options
    ccnacertified2000ccnacertified2000 Member Posts: 27 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm sure the emulator is great. But can it do this?

Configure switches
    Have 100 routers and switches and hosts all running on a single machine without lots of resources?
    Can it view the contents of a packet and its relationship to the OSI layers?
    Does it let you see what networking equipment look like?
    Is it user friendly?
    Does it make sounds ???
    :D

Packet Tracer does all that and more! If you're a CCNP or CCIE level user, dynamips makes lots of sense because you don't need most of those basic info. For a CCNA level person, simulators make lots of sense.
  • Options
    Does it make sounds ???
    Only for the first 3 minutes -- then I started looking for the the option to turn off the noise. icon_lol.gif
  • Options

Configure switches
    Have 100 routers and switches and hosts all running on a single machine without lots of resources?
    Is it user friendly?
    Does it make sounds ???

Packet Tracer does all that and more! If you're a CCNP or CCIE level user, dynamips makes lots of sense because you don't need most of those basic info. For a CCNA level person, simulators make lots of sense.
    configuring a real router doesn't involve GUIs, extensive helpfiles and software that breaks everything down..

on the other hand, you do get to see what the router looks like and you can hear it.

• Options

Configure switches
    Is it user friendly?
    Does it make sounds ???

Packet tracer bores me... even when i was studying for CCNA i was pissed with that kind of limited command and buggy simulators....

The only part that the dynamips lacks is on the Switching part... guess i ll buy a switch and do a virtual trunking which you can do it too isnt dynamips the best???:P