Selftest vs Transcender

doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
Hi everyone,
I am looking for test exams to help me study for the 70-290.
I was thinking about buying one of the 2 packages offered on this site.
One is selftest + a voucher for 159USD
The other is transcender + a voucher for 199usd
I have used selftest for the 70270 exam and found it ok but io was wondering about sims... ( there was none on the 2 tests i have taken so far: 70-270 and 70-282)

So, is it worth the extra bucks to get transcender or are selftest ok ?

Thanks

Doom969
Doom969
MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
CompTIA : A+

Comments

• djphenomdjphenom Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have used SelfTest software for all of my exams. So far I haven't failed yet. (I just knocked on wood.) The 70-290 practice test from SelfTest has about 10 sims on it.
  • losercorelosercore Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a big fan of Transcender's. Have not used them for this exm but overall their practice exams and explinations are great.
  • doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Thx,
    I have finally decided to go with selftest. I have used exams from st before and they were close to the real thing, and the explanations are good. The practice exam i downloaded from Self-test has 6 sims in it and from what I can tell, they are very similar to microsoft sims.
    When I studied for 70-270, I used a sf practice test, and it was a bit tougher tha the real thing, so I'm hoping its the same thing this time.....
    When I studied 70-282, I used a measureup test, and it was very bad... Many anwer i did not agree with, and bad esplanationss, sometimes oneliners...
    I have yet to try transcenders...

Thx for the info,

doom969
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • rock360rock360 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I need a free test, only test i got i think is testouts.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm a big fan of Transcender. I've used them on all three of my certs, and I haven't failed yet :D
  • GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    I used Transcender on my A+ and Network+ exams and passed those exams on the first try.

I am using Transcender for my 70-290.

I find Transcender practice exams difficult.
    Gundamtdk wrote:
    I find Transcender practice exams difficult.

It's like they're really forcing you to learn the material. What's up with that? :D

I agree though. The Transcender tests have been consistently more difficult than the actual exam. I'd prefer it that way as opposed to the other...
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    to be honest with you, I found both ST and Transcender engines to be pretty much the same. Its wierd, in 70-270 test, Self Test was the more difficult version (really specific questions). While for my net+, Transcender seems more "difficult" than the self test. I would see if you can get your hands on the trial versions of the 2 and see which one you prefer more.

At the end of the day, I like the transcender tests a bit better.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    snadam wrote:
    to be honest with you, I found both ST and Transcender engines to be pretty much the same. Its wierd, in 70-270 test, Self Test was the more difficult version (really specific questions).

Did you go through the flash cards for the 70-270 in Transcender? Some of those were insanely difficult, such as asking for the command to schedule a backup job with about a half dozen parameters.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used both Transcender and Self-test. Both are good and surprisingly they look alike.

Personally I like Transcender because all the explanation are very clear and I agree
    with all the answers and explanations. It also force you to study more on topics you
    are not familiar with. As for Self-Test there are around two or more questions that I
    don't agree even if I checked it with my study books. Except for this there is no difference.

Manolsky icon_wink.gif
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    snadam wrote:
    to be honest with you, I found both ST and Transcender engines to be pretty much the same. Its wierd, in 70-270 test, Self Test was the more difficult version (really specific questions).

Did you go through the flash cards for the 70-270 in Transcender? Some of those were insanely difficult, such as asking for the command to schedule a backup job with about a half dozen parameters.

yea, they were hard as hell. You really know your stuff when you can answer those without an issue.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • qnetqnet Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When a went to school a few years back, the instructor would not allow us to use the voucher to take the exam until we passed the Transender test. I agree that the Transender test are hard and it aided in me passing my test. I have never tried Self test.
  • robcornerstonerobcornerstone Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    qnet wrote: »
    When a went to school a few years back, the instructor would not allow us to use the voucher to take the exam until we passed the Transender test. I agree that the Transender test are hard and it aided in me passing my test. I have never tried Self test.

Both Transcender and Self-Test are owned by Kaplan. Transcender costs about $40 more than Self-Test ($139 vs $99 for the 70-642). Definitely go with Transcender. Having used both simultaneously, the test engines are the same and content is similar. But it's as if they create a very good question set for Transcender, and then censor out the good stuff and re-release it as Self-Test.