Options

What to expect?

prepareS+prepareS+ Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys and girls,

This is the first time posting. I've been coming to this site quite regularly now. This is a great site for info. I'm currently preparing for the Security + exam. My first certification attempt. I have sat through a class at the local tech school (that perpares for this exam) and been looking over the MeasureUp software that came with my book. I have read this website and I have almost 2 years in Networking. I haven't set a date to sit the test yet, but thinking I will in a few weeks. All I can think of is paying to take the test and not passing!!!! lol

Any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    prepareS+ wrote:
    Hey guys and girls,

This is the first time posting. I've been coming to this site quite regularly now. This is a great site for info. I'm currently preparing for the Security + exam. My first certification attempt. I have sat through a class at the local tech school (that perpares for this exam) and been looking over the MeasureUp software that came with my book. I have read this website and I have almost 2 years in Networking. I haven't set a date to sit the test yet, but thinking I will in a few weeks. All I can think of is paying to take the test and not passing!!!! lol

Any advice?

Thanks.

If you have 2 years in Network and went to a class in your local tech school and studied all domains, you should do fine. Go for it.
    But change the way u think before go to the test. Stop thinking about paying for the exam and not pass. Be confidente !!!!!!!
  • Options
    jsuncarjsuncar Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have a chance, go through the practice tests offered in this site (they helped me). Go through the review notes (luckily offered here as well). Learn your ports!!! I'm glad I did. Review, review, practice, practice,...

And finally, relax. You've done a great deal to prepare for this exam. You'll do fine, instead of thinking of "paying and failing", visualize sitting at the test site and rocking it.

I wish you the best of success.

Cordially,

Juan
  • Options
    YEA, this site helps alot! It explains the topics in a different way. I guess that why its good to study different sources. Thanks, again!
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    make sure you know RBAC, DAC, and MAC inside and out. Dont skip over the sections on backups and ports/services.
  • Options
    -EOS--EOS- Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Know your ports too!
  • Options
    I have already made me a chart with ports and services. Thanks for the heads up!

Another thing...

When I took the class, the text book we used is ...

Security + Guide To network Security Fundamentals 2nd Edition

Have you used this book? Is it a good one?

I was looking over the AC models and this book seems to touch the top comparing with this site. This site gives more detail information and gives better examples :).
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    I don't know the book, but you can look at some of the reviews posted at online bookstores.
    I like to use at least 2 textbooks and 2 practice exams.
    Also, most people that I know that have failed have done OK on ports, virus types, and algorithms. They spend most of their time on the technical stuff. Don't ignore the paperwork stuff. Things like business continuity plans, standards/policies/guidelines, inventories, etc. (documentation, documentation, documentation)
    It probably won't be a major part of the test, but it's a good way to lose points if you don't know it well enough.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    prepareS+ wrote:
    I have already made me a chart with ports and services. Thanks for the heads up!

Another thing...

When I took the class, the text book we used is ...

Security + Guide To network Security Fundamentals 2nd Edition

Have you used this book? Is it a good one?

I was looking over the AC models and this book seems to touch the top comparing with this site. This site gives more detail information and gives better examples :).

that is the book i used in combination with a few other books. that is the book i liked best of them all. I would recommend the prep logic test simulator. It is actually harder then the real exam. If you can get in the 800s with those on your first time seeing the questions, you are ready.
  • Options
    Okay thanks!!! I'll check it out.