Options

Old cert books

carbunklecarbunkle Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im just wondering after you pass a certification do you hold onto the books you used to study or do you sell them. I might as well keep my A+ book but I'll probably sell my Net+. Im just wondering

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on how useful I think the book is. Some I keep, some I sell.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    Well then you can run into the same that I have. I have an A+ book that I dont want but with the upgrade of the test, it is no longer of any use. I guess I will just put it on the book shelf along with all the other books I have. YOu never know, could be a great reference some day icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    I keep all my books. There a very good reference when you need them.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm awaiting the arrival of my 1st tech book. I've borrowed one but I didn't really read it much. I discovered that I can buy used books online for a fraction of the cost of new books :D

so far, I've used cd's from cbtnuggets.com, free resources I found on the web, and technotes.

I plan on starting up a library of resources so I doubt I'll sell my books.

does anyone have any suggestions on books or authors?

I'm looking at Mike Meyers' Security+ Certification Passport but I haven't heard whether they're good or not. Anybody ever use books from that series? The price is tempting.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tahjzhuan - I used the Passport Sec+ book for my first attempt at this exam and found it lacking. The Sybex book is much more complete in my opinion, and accompanied by the CBT Nuggets CD's (awesome) one has the starting poing for that exam.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I went through most of the threads in the security+ forum and I have a newfound respect for it, so I'll be sure wait until I'm super comfortable before I take the exam. From what I read, the passport isn't all that helpful. I'm going to get the full version of the tcat.pdf and I bought the microsoft sec+ book (it was $18 and I couldn't help it) icon_redface.gif

and they told me tattoos were addictive
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Actually as funny as saying Microsoft and security in the same breath, I understand that the MS Press Sec+ book is rather helpful for the exam (even if it does only cover 50% of the objectives).
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007