Options

Remote desktop Q

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a desktop computer running Windows Server 2003 that I just installed and I've also got a laptop running XP home(I think? Might be professional). I have them connected by a crossover cable and they have the IP addresses 192.168.2.1-192.168.2.2...both on the same workgroup. Simple setup, right?

I have remote desktop turned on on both machines, but it won't let me log on to either one. I can ping back and forth once I turn my Comodo firewall off, but it still won't let me connect. I can remote into my own machine, but not the other.

Is there something else I need to check? I turned off both firewalls to be sure that wasn't the problem.

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since this is a workgroup, make sure the administrator name and password is the same on both machines. If you are using an account other than that, make sure it is in the Remote Desktop Users group.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    That sounds like what I forgot to do.

I was just put the username and password for the remote machine into the box below where the IP/hostname goes. I'll see if this works.

KG
  • Options
    Didn't work. Though I found that I'm able to remote into my 2003 Server machine from the laptop, for some reason. Not sure if I had changed something. Now I just can't connect from my 2003 server to the XP Home edition computer. I can still ping both fine...I have remote assistance turned on, but I didn't see anywhere for me to turn remote desktop on...is there something like that in XP home?

KG
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    XP home does not have remote desktop. You can download VNC and install it on the Home PC. It's a free download.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    Do you mean it doesn't allow you to change remote desktop settings, like adding users? Because I can open remote desktop and remote into other machines just fine using XP Home. I just can't connect to it from another computer.

KG
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi KG,

What Deneb meant was you cannot make a remote desktop connection TO a computer running Windows XP:Home Edition. If you need to make a remote desktop connection to the XP Home computer, try the VNC option like he suggested.
  • Options
    Oh, I see. That explains it then. Thanks for the help...no wonder it's the only computer I have running XPhome. :D

KG