Options

Wireless job need some help

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey everybody

I'm quite new to the whole 802.11 scene and need a few pointers

I am going out on a external job next week for a customer. I am going to be testing if a 802.11 would be a beeficial for the client.

The customer currently has a wireless router and a Hp Pavillion laptop equipped with a wireless card. this is situated on the ground floor.

He wants a computer to be situated in the third floor of the building which we will build for him.

The reaspn for me visiting him is I have to setup the laptop to communicate with the router then to take it up to the third floor and see how strong the signal strength is.

Now being new to the whole wireless lark can somebody step by step guide me how the hell do I get the laptop to communicate with the router?

I'm using windows Xp for this

Many Thanks

Ally
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Use the wireless NIC's software to scan for available networks. You should pick up something provided the SSID is being broacasted. If you pick up multiple networks, you'll need to know the name of his Access Point. Click on the AP and hit Connect. The software varies but it's pretty straight forward. You'll need to talk with the client to see if any type of security is setup ie WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc...if it is then you'll need to setup of the wireless profile accordingly to be able to connect to this AP. If there is no security, I highly recommend you set it up. I recommend not using WEP...go for WPA2 is the hardware supports it.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,045 Admin
    The wireless access point will be permanently located on the first floor or the third floor? Will the access point be connected only to a LAN, only to an Internet connection, or both? What make/model of wireless access point and what kind of antenna setup are you using? What is the maximum transmission power of the access point? What is the make/model of the wireless NIC in the laptop? Is the building mostly wood or is it concrete, brick, and stucco? Are there already a lot of other RF devices in use in the building, such as microwave ovens, medical equipment, Bluetooth-enabled computer equipment and cell phones?
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey there

Currently there is no LAN or WAP or ISP

What I am working with is the customers Laptop which is a HP Pavilion DV 6000 with a wireless NIC
    and a wirless router.

The equipment is currently situated on the 1st floor ( not connected )

The objective for me is to get the laptop to communicate with the wireless router and to see what the signal strength would be like if I move the laptop onto the second floor.

I want to test the signal strength between these two devices because if the signal strength is satisfactory when I move the laptop to the second floor with the wireless router being located on the first floor. Then I can think about implementing a wireless network setup.

Thing is though I am pretty new to the wireless way of working and would appreciate it if somebody could provide me with some basic steps as to how I get the router to talk to the laptop and what would be a suitable signal and bandwith test?

Bearing in mind that the router hasn't even been turnt on it's still packaged can you provide me with steps from the start.

Many Thanks

Appreciate this guys I really do
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    ally_uk wrote:
    Hey there

Currently there is no LAN or WAP or ISP

What I am working with is the customers Laptop which is a HP Pavilion DV 6000 with a wireless NIC
    and a wirless router.

The equipment is currently situated on the 1st floor ( not connected )

The objective for me is to get the laptop to communicate with the wireless router and to see what the signal strength would be like if I move the laptop onto the second floor.

I want to test the signal strength between these two devices because if the signal strength is satisfactory when I move the laptop to the second floor with the wireless router being located on the first floor. Then I can think about implementing a wireless network setup.

Thing is though I am pretty new to the wireless way of working and would appreciate it if somebody could provide me with some basic steps as to how I get the router to talk to the laptop and what would be a suitable signal and bandwith test?

Bearing in mind that the router hasn't even been turnt on it's still packaged can you provide me with steps from the start.

Many Thanks

Appreciate this guys I really do

If you pay me enough, I'll do it for ya. icon_wink.gif
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,045 Admin
    What is the make and model of the wireless router? If it's a popular brand, like Linksys, D-Link, or Cisco, there is more than enough information on the manufacturer's Web site to explain how to install and configure it.

And what wireless client software are you using on the laptop? If you are using the Windows wireless configuration, you will need to download a site survey tool that works with the laptop's wireless NIC. Netstumbler is usually a good choice, but it doesn't work with all wireless chipsets. If the HP wireless software config utility will be used, it may contain a built-in site survey tool (that is, a signal strength display).
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remember, there is amp or extend WAP u can find at the market to help you extend the range. A easy way how I did it is to run around the house with the laptop and see how good the connection and any dead spot. Too easy.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should get them setup with WPA if the router has it available, if not, perhaps consider getting one. WEP is easily crackable and it might be an issue depending on what kind of company your client is running.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680