Options

*New TechExams.net Server*

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
Hi all,

We just moved to a new server. We went from an AMD Duron 1 GHz to a Dual Core Xeon 3060 2.4Ghz with 2GB RAM, SATAII hd, and 100Mb uplink (currently 10Mb).

Besides the obvious positive influence on the speed of TechExams.net, it allows for some new software additions and some improvements on the front-end we'll introduce within the next several months. We tried to make sure and verify everything works as it should, but if you notice anything wrong please PM me. The old server is still running as a fallback option.

We changed the DNS records to point to the new server, which will take up to around 24 hours to propagate to all DNS servers on the planet. If you happen to end up at the old server, you can try one or more of the following:

1. run the ipconfig /flushdns command if you're running Windows.

2. use http://dev.techexams.net

3. Add the following 'temporary' entry to your HOSTS file:
209.62.5.3 www.techexams.net

Johan

Comments

• Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Congrats, to everyone at Techexams!
    Can't wait to see the new server in action.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    Omg, well... if that is the only thing I did wrong... I edited the above topic. The previous version was the announcement I was planning to do 'before' moving but didn't decide to do because there was no exact ETA.

In other words: we already moved. If you are reading those post, you are on the new server. :D
  • Options
    Just some additional info:

This new server uses standard HTTP compression making the text of pages about 5 times smaller. You should clearly notice this on long topics and TechNotes for example.

Additionally, I tuned the server to use a large portion of memory for database caching, currently being build based on your actions and the advantage should increase over the next couple of days.

Anyway, I hope you will all enjoy the servers as much as I do!
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks Johan! We all appreciate the work you do on the site.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sheesh .... what do we do with a Webmaster that forgets to arrange to update MX records icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Nice work Johan! New servers are always fun to play with...okay,maybe not play with, but the site did seem to load much faster here.... icon_cool.gif
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Thansk guys, it's definitely loading much faster for me.
    RussS wrote:
    Sheesh .... what do we do with a Webmaster that forgets to arrange to update MX records icon_lol.gif
    I didn't forget to update any records. icon_confused.gif Oh, did you mean sc.com?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations! And thanks for all your hard work!!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    I didn't forget to update any records. icon_confused.gif

Had ya worried didn't Johan icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Is running very smoothly.
    www.supercross.com
  • Options
    Not at all. The MX records didn't need to be updated, they still point to the same hostname (not IP).

So you were just trying to make me look bad and confuse our members huh? Don't worry I'll remember that icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    :P
    www.supercross.com