Options

Hi guys,any of you have to take a computer test for the job?

SandersSanders Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
So here's the brief story: I currently work as help desk for a small company and I don't have any certifications but basically I just troubleshoot the computer problems by doing self study. Most technical issues for me can be solved by looking at message boards.

Now my friend wants to refer me for a help desk position that pays better but he tells me that in the interview process they'll be a general skills inteview and a basic computer knowledge test.

1)Have you guys taken a computer test to access your skills?
2)I'm guessing maybe just studying A+ will suffice for this general knowledge test. What would you recommend to study?

Any input or comment would be helpful. Thank You.

Comments

• Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LOL

G
    O
    O
    D

L
    U
    C
    K
    !
    !
    !
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is common to have a technical portion of the interview for helpdesk support job. Don't worry too much. Is A+ help? It help you to narrorw down the computer issue, but not for network or application. A lot of them are common sense and build by experience. Know your people skills. It is a key for support role job.

Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    In Europe there is a certification called ECDL "European Computer Driving Licence" which shows you know the basics around a PC, email, printing, the basics of office products, etc. I was in a IT support dept for a large organisation once and the management said we would all have to certify in it.

We all refused to do it stating it was rediculous for us to have it and that it would be demeaning for us to take it. Bearing in mind most had been doing the job for years. There was a bit of a pwer struggle and we eventually won obviously. Gah.. Management. They can get in the way sometimes!

I would suggest something similar and maybe having a quick read through of A+, Network+.

There is also the new international standard ITIL level 1 which is far more suited to helpdesk. Yes sir, no sir, I'm sure it was the photocopier that maliciously made you forget your password sir and no, sorry your monitor does not come in pink! (yes yes I know ITIL is far more than that before you start beating me up)
    Kam.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Almost every company I have applied for with a position that requires zero to no supervision will require an assesment test.

Each test I have taken was about 50 questions and covered a broad range of materials from highly intense computer questions to managerial/political questions within a work environment.

I would study not only computer related questions, but the companies background.
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hello,

if there is a technical test -- how come it bothers you too much?
    if you have stated any skills or experiences in your resume -- applied for the specified job,
    just be confidence with your skill and any experiences that you already have.
    that test will help you to show your employer about who you are ;)

cheers..
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    bah you'll be ok; especially it's it's multi-choice
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
    My current position I had a hands-on test. I was given a broken pc with something wrong with it (I was supplied with vauge symptoms) and left alone with 30 minutes to correct the problem. It was a snap, I resolved the problem within a few minutes and I had the job later that day.
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    moss12,
    what was so funny about this gentlemans question?? I found it to be a legitimate question for someone going on an interview that requires a skills test.
    sanders good luck with the interview. If you know everything in the A+ books, you should do alright.
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nothing i wish him all the best
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Granted I pass my next interview I will be given an online skills assessment. The position is Network Support Analyst. Their systems include linux, aix, and windows spread out over several states. I can only wonder what type of questions i will be given.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I personally cannot understand companies that DONT test peoples knowledge during a job interview. How else do you know they know what they say they know? You know? icon_lol.gif

Anyway to the OP it depends on your current level of knowledge, if the position is for a helpdesk I wouldnt expect the quesitons to be too difficult. (One really bad helpdesk I saw once asked people "So how do you cut and paste with the keyboard"?.....)

Your mate should be the one who can point you in the right direction as to what you have a basic understanding of.

If its helpdesk for bespoke applications you need to know different things to helpdesk for an ISP.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Be ready to describe troubleshooting issues that you've had in your present job that you've successfully resolved.

Good luck. Hope you get it.
    Consider this as experience. Even if you don't get the job offer, this can give you an insight on what to expect and possibly what additional skills you might want to learn.
    Consider working toward some certifications. Definitely look at the A+ material.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.