Options

Looking for ideal book

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
I have Mastering Windows Server 2003 and also the MS Training book but i was looking at this book (Below) and wondered if anyone has used it and what they rate it?

MCSA/MCSE Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment (Exam 70-290): Study Guide and DVD Training System (Paperback) its by Thomas W Shinder

Comments

• Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    I have not read the book you suggested, but I have read the MS Press Training Kit for 70-290, and some of the Mastering Windows Server 2003.

The MS Press should be good for learning the material to pass the exam (complete the walkthroughs & questions!). The MS Press paired with a software based exam (ex. transcender) would be sufficient for the exam.

The Mastering Windows Server 2003 is a great (and pretty thick!) book -- use it to find out more info on a particular topic. It covers much more than what is needed for the 290 exam, but its a great reference book :)
  • Options
    rstainforthrstainforth Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Windows Server 2003 Inside Out (Stanek) and the Windows Serve 2003 Administrators Pocket Consultant, are both really useful. I used them with the M$ press training kits for my exams.

IMHO I know the M$ books aren't ideal, and can be very dry when trying to learn stuff for the first time, but you need to use them as your first point of reference, as this is where most of the exam material is taken from. I find that if you read the M$ book, cross reference with other material (Sybex etc) and make sure you read the technet papers referenced as further reading in the book you'll be fine.

I don't personally use the online cd-roms/exam nuggets/trainsignal stuff, but only because half the time I want to strangle the morons teaching it lol. spend more time laughing at the bizarre haricuts/nose jobs/overly enthusiastic personalities than I do learning ;)
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    Thanks guys, i will be sitting the exam possibly on Friday!! Is it true that this exam is 4 hours long??
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    I agree with JdotQ.

Make sure you get a good practice test (I used Self Test and Prep Logic) and the book you have already. Make sure you follow their practice exercises.
  • Options
    rstainforthrstainforth Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you get (i think) 4.5 hours, but I strolled through in about 1 hr 20 mins. Don't stress, if you've done your prep you'll be fine :)