Options

What do you think is reasonable for blade server move?

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I have a contact who wants me to move a blade server from the first floor to the second floor on a weekend/after hours.

It sounds like he will be doing all the network cabling and getting it ready for the move. He is not familiar with the device and doesnt want something to go wrong.

This person is not a friend and I was contacted by him out of the blue.

I was thinking $300 if it takes 2-3 hours.

I dont NEED the work, but if I was to do it I want to make sure I am making enough to pay for my day off that I could be spending doing something of my preference.

Plus Sunday is easter Sunday, which means basically no weekend if I do it this weekend.

Let me know if you think I should be charging more.

Comments

• Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Really depends, i mean hell 100 bucks an hour sounds great if you can do it in 3 hours. But what all has to be done? rack setup? he said hes running the cables but is the proper power in place distrobution in place? etc...

Is their elevators? cuz dollying a 800lbs bladecenter up stairs can kill your back lol...
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Will it be on the same subnet? If not, what other changes will need to be addressed if the IP has to change?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Ok, went on site...

It's actually easier than I thought..

He is going to be running all the cabling, I just need to punch them down, test the cabling.

I then need to hook his computer network into a few cisco switches and then to his ISP.

On the telephone side I need to move his digital centrix (sp?) system from the second floor to the first floor via an elevator in one night and make sure all his phone systems work properly.

The hard part is going to be matching phone extensions to desk numbers through out the building due to the fact that the manager/owner doesnt even know where employees are being moved to yet.

I basically told them I would do it for $50/hr per hand cash and I get to use my own crew. Since the other guy basically got me the work I am letting him charge the Company we are going to be doing the work for whatever he feels suites his needs so he can make some cash as a finders fee.
  • Options
    Are you bonded/insured? Something to consider when you do work on the side for cash. What happens if the blade server gets dropped or if the phones don't work by Monday morning? Probably won't happen, but I've heard a couple horror stories that have caused me to stop doing side work.
  • Options
    I am working for someone who is bonded/insured. It's basically a company that needs someone with very specific computer background for what they need. I happen to be the one they contacted.

Think of it as being sub contracted I guess.
  • Options
    Then it sounds like you are good to go. Have fun and Happy Easter!
  • Options
    Hopefully I dont eat too many easter treats.

Happy Easter to you too!