Options

Need a little help (CCNA: 2924 vs 2950)

markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
Ok, so I just got outbid in the last like 20 seconds again in my attempt to get a 2950 switch. I'm pissed. I've seen a few 2924's for more than half off the going price of the 2950s. Maybe around $115 or so with shipping. I'm wondering...does the 2924 have the same commands as the 2950? I know from my book that the 1900 series switches commands are different. Also, with the 2924 will it support ISL or dot1Q trunking?

I thought I knew the answer to the "which switch" question before, but I guess not (don't bust my balls deadmaster200, lol). Basically what I'm asking...What will I be able to do with the 2950, that I won't be able to do with the 2924...in regards to the CCNA (and if you have time, the NP also)?

Thanks again guys.
"You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky

Comments

• Options
    Any takers?
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Dude, I think you avatar is frightening them. We're geeks, we don't have that kind of confidence. I am betting if you change your avatar to a bunny or kitty or something like that you might have more luck.

icon_lol.gif

I am not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I found that on the Catalyst 2900 XL series switches with 4 MB DRAM only certain modules support trunking. See the below link for further details:
    Configuring InterVLAN Routing and ISL/802.1Q Trunking on a Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL/2950 Switch Using an External Router
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It also doesn't support the interface range command (read that in an older topic) and couple of other minor things. I think it was Mike who recommended to get both.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The 2900 series was an evolution over the 1900 series. The 2950 was an improvement to the 2900 series. I think of it like yearly revisions to automobiles between generation changes.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    deneb829 wrote:
    Dude, I think you avatar is frightening them. We're geeks, we don't have that kind of confidence. I am betting if you change your avatar to a bunny or kitty or something like that you might have more luck.

icon_lol.gif

I just fell out of my chair laughing. Thank you. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That was a great vacation in Dominican. Gotta love them Monte Cristo Cigars. :D

Thanks for the help guys.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I posted in this CCNP thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21657
    Here's the "switch section of that post"
    mikej412 wrote:
    The QoS shouldn't affect the router selection... but may affect your switch selection. QoS and Multicast are some of the differences you'll find between switches. Unless you are planning on the CCIE someday, its hard to justify a layer 3 switch for the CCNP lab (memorize the no switchport command and pretend its a router interface -- I just saved you $1000+).

You're still doing spanning tree in the CCNP -- so 3 switches makes it more realistic. I say that a layer 3 switch (3550, 3560 or 3750) with at 2950 and maybe another 2900 series switch lets you configure almost everything. But since price is usually an issue -- 2 2950s would probably still work -- with another 2900 series as the 3rd switch. The cheaper you want to be, decrease the 2950s and increase the 2900s.
    And from a CCNA Lab thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14818
    mikej412 wrote:
    You can't do much switching with just one switch. I don't count the 1900 as a "real switch." The 1900 will let you do OSPF DR/DBR elections... but that's about it. It does do STP, so you can use it as a 3rd switch for that.

The 3548 is an XL, right? Enterprise IOS version? Should do most everything you'll need for the CCNA...., but you might want to get it a friend to play with -- a 2950, or another Enterprise XL series (3500 or 2900).

As you move into the CCNP -- you'd want a 3550 swtich... beg, borrow, buy, or rent. It's nice to have, but its expensive -- and if your looking at the CCSP and building a home lab for that, your money is probably better spent there.... unless you are thinking about the CCIE someday (then think about 1 3550 for the CCNP).
    With the 2900 series, make sure you get an enterprise model. If you don't want to do the research on the Cisco Web site, stick to the 2924s. If you don't mind researching, start with that URL deneb829 posted.

People bid these things up on eBay to more than they are really worth.... so I scored a couple of 3500-XLs for $125 each while everyone else was bidding up the 2924s to ridiculous price levels icon_eek.gif

And from yet another CCNA thead -- my opinion of the 1900s
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18138

The 1900 can also be used as a coffee cup coaster.
    mikej412 wrote:
    No -- 1900 = doorstop or boat anchor.

Change the 19xx to a 29xx XL Enterprise switch. I paid $1 for my 1900.

The 29xx XL Enterprise might be useful if the new CCNP exams haven't given up on ISL trunking (and the old stuff for multicasting).

3 Switches would be great, but you can survive with 2... and you won't die if you have just one.

The 29xx XLs don't have the range option the 2950 has... and there are some Multicast and QoS differences -- but those show up in the old CCNP exams (don't know about the new exams).

< I paid $22 for my 29xx XL on ebay, but people still bid them up over $100 -- at that point, spend the extra $$$ -- I paid $153 for my 2950-12>
    1 change to the above:
    3 Switches would be great, but you can survive with 2... and you won't die if you have just one, but you might want to (die) after the CCNA exam (if you don't pass). 1 switch may let you enter the commands -- but you may not get the full understanding of what's going on until you add at least a 2nd switch (since you can't do much switching with just 1 switch :D).

I might be sensing a new FAQ link.... hum.
    icon_arrow.gif Switches and the single CCNA.
    icon_arrow.gif Everything you wanted to know about switches for the home CCNA lab but were afraid to ask.
    icon_arrow.gif Need a little help (CCNA: 2924 vs 2950)
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!