Options

Windows update mistake...lol

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
So apparently windows updates don't exist for Windows ME. I just tried to run them on a client machine and it told me, "Windows updates are only available for windows machines, if you are using a Mac then please go here->" etc

That's funny.

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even Microsoft doesn't mention ME in any of their papers anymore. That operating system was SAD.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    How are you running Windows updates? Through the website? I dont think Windows ME has automatic updates, so you have to use the MS Windows Update webpage.

I did use ME for quite some months, and I am sure that you can get updates for it...and you sure do need those updates for any intensive purposes.

Use https://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ or
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/update/default.asp

and a simple google search shows that, indeed there are Winodws Updates available for Windows ME.

Note that, above links like many MS sites, are available and best accessed with Internet Explorer.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Windows Me, in its heyday, did have Automatic Updates and had access to the Windows Update Site. If Microsoft had pulled it, chances are it went along with the retirement of Windows 98, since that's what Me was. . . Windows 98, Me Edition (it was just never marketed that way, but I've gone drinking with Microsoft engineers that reluctantly admitted that's what they did. . . tried to squeeze XP features into the 98 architecture).

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Slowhand wrote:
    Windows Me, in its heyday, did have Automatic Updates and had access to the Windows Update Site. If Microsoft had pulled it, chances are it went along with the retirement of Windows 98, since that's what Me was. . . Windows 98, Me Edition (it was just never marketed that way, but I've gone drinking with Microsoft engineers that reluctantly admitted that's what they did. . . tried to squeeze XP features into the 98 architecture).

And in doing so tore-out a lot of very useful features such as Device Manager and PnP. To this day, I still can't understand what the hell was going through their heads when they ripped out that code...
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was using Internet explorer 6 and went to the website, where it hit me with a message stating that I was not using a windows machine.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    9x no longer supported at all - have had that issue for a while now.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007