Options

I got the 290 book in mail today..

NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
Amazon never fails to surprise me with their fast deliveries.. So i'll be going for 290 in probably a month or so, that shall be my first Microsoft exam, any suggestions you guys?
icon_eek.gif
What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
- 70-270 -

Comments

• Options
    initialdinitiald Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get some hands on experience (if you haven't already). It's a good idea to set up a small network at home. Either real machines or VMs (virtual machines).

Hope this helps.
    Regg'

"Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Read and absorb. :) Learn the microsoft way and do lots of practice tests if this is your first exam. You have done certs before so you know the drill.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    got the VMware installed, book seems fairly easy to read.. maybe because i'm experienced in that area.. eh, we'll see how it goes, thank you guys. icon_cool.gif
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • Options
    kkaltsaskkaltsas Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I liked the MS Press Self-Paced Kit books. Do the labs in Virtual PC at least, better if you have a couple machines running on a small network. Hit the practice tests then, the notes and tests here, you should do alright. That should get you to the mid 700s anyways, worked for me. Good luck.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    290 was the first cert I got. I just used the MS Press book (the outdated version even!) and the Transceder practice tests. I did use VMWare Workstation to work through the exercises in the book. Good luck!
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    Which book did you get?

If it's the 70-290 MS Press book return it back!

I found the 70-290 MS Press book information too general and not enough to prepare you for the exam.
  • Options
    rstainforthrstainforth Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gundamtdk wrote:
    Which book did you get?

If it's the 70-290 MS Press book return it back!

I found the 70-290 MS Press book information too general and not enough to prepare you for the exam.

I used the M$ book and also Windows Server 2003 Inside Out (Stanek) and the W2K3 Adminstrators Pocket Companion, all of which very good.

IMHO you need the M$ book as a basis, as it is here that the core of the curriculum is found, however it does not go all the way, and I found it lacking in some areas (IIS for one). Get the books, get a box, and install W2K3 on it, work from scratch and go through all the exercises.

I am lucky, as I walked into a support engineer role, and have ended up doing sysadmin jobs, in a small company (supporting a large customers LAN) and many of the technologies I introduced (RIS, WSUS etc) as they weren't being used.

The only way you can pass the exam AND do the job is with theory and practical work...read the book, do the tasks, and you'll be AOK :)