Options

Career Change

PsychobastardPsychobastard Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been doing testing off & on since 1998\99. I ended up in Test by accident while trying to get into an IT position, any IT position. I've been trying to make the transition ever since. I picked up my A+ a year ago. I still only get contacts for testing. Now I'm studying for the MCDST. I was looking at the CCNA but the MCPP seemed a more logical choice for what I'm right now; entry level. IT. I may grab the Network+ immediately after the MCDST just to get an intro networking cert.

Right now I think I may have too much material to study. I've got both the MS Press & Exam Cram 271 & 272 manuals, Inside Windows XP (additional XP info) and have order Bill Ferguson's CDROM set for the 271\272 tests. I'm also planning on buying the Sybex hard cover.
Benjamin Franklin described insanity as performing the same action over and over, expecting a different result. We do that every day. We're software testers.

Comments

• Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's about as much stuff I usually get when I'm ready to tackle a test. Using various sources is good because in my experience one book alone will not cover everything in the exam even though the authors say it does. Trust me...i've learned it the hard way. Another suggestion is do a lots of practice questions. And the ones that you do get wrong, research the heck out of it and see why the answer is what it is. This will help develop the skills necessary to pass the test.

Good luck in your exams!
  • Options
    PsychobastardPsychobastard Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. There's no such thing as an All-In-One. Filling in the various gaps in material as well as getting a visual (important for me) from the CDbased stuff should work out well.
    Benjamin Franklin described insanity as performing the same action over and over, expecting a different result. We do that every day. We're software testers.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you haven't started testing for the MCDST already, I'd say bypass that altogether and take a look at the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician. This incarnation of the MCITP is the next-generation leap from MCDST, as it focuses on Vista, Office 2007, and working with some of the newer technologies from Microsoft. Something to think about, since you're looking to get a new cert, anyway. And I definitely think that the Network+ is a good idea as well, it'll help you out a lot with both moving forward in the networking end of things, as well as the things you're already working with.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    BabietechBabietech Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    If you haven't started testing for the MCDST already, I'd say bypass that altogether and take a look at the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician. This incarnation of the MCITP is the next-generation leap from MCDST, as it focuses on Vista, Office 2007, and working with some of the newer technologies from Microsoft. Something to think about, since you're looking to get a new cert, anyway. And I definitely think that the Network+ is a good idea as well, it'll help you out a lot with both moving forward in the networking end of things, as well as the things you're already working with.

Have you taken the MCDST exam yet? If you not, you don't need to tell who needs to focus on what exam.
  • Options
    BabietechBabietech Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. There's no such thing as an All-In-One. Filling in the various gaps in material as well as getting a visual (important for me) from the CDbased stuff should work out well.

You are right about that. When you are using an All-In-One book, you still need to go out and purchase a couple more books to prepare you for the exams. The All-in-One books sometimes does not cover everthing for the exam.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Babietech wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:

Have you taken the MCDST exam yet? If you not, you don't need to tell who needs to focus on what exam.

Babietech - chill out or keep quiet. Slowhand was making a suggestion, not TELLING anyone what to do.
    All things are possible, only believe.