Options

Friday the 13th - Great Day to Test!

KInj1425KInj1425 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well - thanks for all the info. that you all have posted - I will do my best to return the favor tomorrow - after my Security+ Exam - Wish me luck!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    Good luck buddy!
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All the best
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    tonydotigrtonydotigr Member Posts: 129
    Good luck, stay focused and don't be affraid to hit the 'review' button. I think reviewing the questions helped me a lot.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
  • Options
    Thanks for all the support - obviously I am new to the forum, but I "feel the love"! Your support for each other is awesome and I hope I get to come back and tell you I passed - just a couple more hours.....88 Kerberos, L2TP 1701, IDS network and host, logic bombs, polymorphic....sorry nervous rambling - I went to cramsession, testout, my sybex book, study guides, every practice test I could find and everythink you guys listed - now just to get over the test anxiety - $$$ don't want to screw this one up! Any last minute comments?? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    SpurSpur Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! Stay focused and you will be fine :)
  • Options
    Well...that was incredibly depressing...I can tell you all the network security attacks, every port ever mentioned in any of the security+ books, cd's, practice exams, anything about IPSec, AH, ESP, what ports....anything - but apparhently I am too much of a moron to pass the "vendor-neutral" exam....Friday the 13th sucks....if they wanted $500 bucks for the exam, they should just ask for it and make the test worthy of it instead of asking such bs questions with vague focuses of what they want to know, and then give two valid answers - I don't see how people (I have gone through alot of the posts and found this frequently) who can pass their MCSE, CCNP, and so forth and then not pass the security+ exam - this is an intro to security and I studied like it was for my PhD and it didn't get me far enough----before anyone calls me an idiot, I don't blame anyone, I read into the questions and thought it would be alot harder - but it wasn't that it was hard or easy - it was bizarre...test my knowledge...but DAMN, make it FAIR!! icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    I understand what you mean. I came across the same problem...I guess you need to just use your best judgment and choose the best answer from the choices given. Give it another try, I'm sure you will pass.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    thanks...I appreciate it....I wish the testing centers were open on Saturday's....lame on all fronts...red bull and vodka with a fire out on the deck tonight though.... icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    [edit by Webmaster]
    Disclosing exam content is not allowed in these forums. Please keep in mind you signed a non-disclosure agreement and are not allowed to share with others what 'you' had on 'your' exam.
    [/edit]
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

I took S+ and, like you, there were no questions having terms or situations that I did not recognize/understand. But, now I believe that giving the best answer does not lie in knowing you have a problem and knowing what the problem is, it really is in "going for the kill"--being as agressive as the person/system launching the exploit. The practice of securing a network is highly intuitive and an all-of-the-time undertaking.

So, IMHO, that is why I, and others, do not pass S+, even after studying consistently with the best of study guides. That is, we can hit the 650 to 750 score range, but scoring between 750 and 850 for 764 pass requires proactive thinking--"killer instinct".

These thoughts are nourished by observing our organization's security team. The chief Network Security Officer is constantly sniffing and monitoring, and his Security Tech is almost constantly patching AV. That's putting it mildly.

Well, I am starting to ramble. I hope this helps you and me both when we tackle this thing again.
    Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Sorry to hear that.
    Yes, it's an odd test. I learned every scrap I could and tested myself several ways. I felt I was going to knock the test out of the park. I barely eeked by. I couldn't believe the weirdness of some of the questions.
    I stand by my motto (see below).
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    tonydotigrtonydotigr Member Posts: 129
    Having just took the test this week, I understand your frustration on the questions asked. As with most certifications you need to determine the answer they are looking for, sometimes not the best answer (at least in my opinion, whatever that is worth). I checked 20 questions for review and after question 10 I knew this test was going to be rough.

Stick it out, try again, you'll have a better understanding of what this test is like and what to expect. Unfortunately taking again isn't nice for the wallet, but just remember this cert. might help you land a job, a better one, or a nice promotion (not to mention it goes by your name in this forum). :D
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I'm sorry to hear about your test experience....

I can tell you that of all the tests I've taken, the Security+ exam was the one that I studied the hardest for and I only scored a few points above passing.

I read 3 books and spent 3 months studying for this one.... This is more than any of the MCSE tests I've done so far.

So, I do have to say that so far I have found this to be the hardest exam I've taken.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One of the things that i believe helped me pass this test was taking some time off from my studying and looking for security related instances in daily life, trying to use SSH, certificates, and secure email, ext... After a few months I went back to the books and was really able to learn much better combining my previous reading, thoughts and new knowledge really helped. I was really able to nail this test when i took it.
  • Options
    Webmaster - I apologize for posting any information concerning my exam, my intentions were not malicious. I will be more careful next time - I enjoy the forums so far though, so thanks for making it happen!!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't let it get to you. This test was unlike any of the others I've taken. Here was my experience: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22493

I agree with the others that said you need to choose the answer that you think they want, regardless of whether or not it is actually the best for the situation. Also remember that this exam is something like 5 years old, which is practically a lifetime in computer/internet years. Think what would have been the best solution in 2002.

Just hang in there; I'm sure you'll ace it the next time around.
  • Options
    Hey Everybody, Thanks so much for all your concerns and advice. Tomorrow I start the SSCP class, it is a one week boot camp. I had really hoped to have the Security+ monkey off my back in time to start this one, but maybe it will clear up any confusion. I will have to re-take the Security+ and turn around in a month a take another exam. I don't see as much info for the SSCP as the Securty+ and CISSP, which is strange, I would think it would be like a succession...you know one thing I found out the other day, since CISSP and CCNP are my ultimate goals is that for the CISSP, (well actually for the SSCP also) you have to have been working in the field for four years (only one for the SSCP) and have someone basically sponsor you with a letter verifying your work experience and knowledge? I actually thought it was pretty cool, quality control measures - too bad they don't require letters to verify people's abilities to drive, parent, be a politician icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    KInj1425 wrote:
    Hey Everybody, Thanks so much for all your concerns and advice. Tomorrow I start the SSCP class, it is a one week boot camp. I had really hoped to have the Security+ monkey off my back in time to start this one, but maybe it will clear up any confusion. I will have to re-take the Security+ and turn around in a month a take another exam.

Good luck and have fun!
    Be careful though, there is some basic information in the SSCP that differs from the Sec+ terminology. If I remember correctly it was either the triple A and/or the CIA triad.... Hmmm, it's been a while now, but I do remember it was confusing to study for both at one time.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Good luck and have fun!
    Be careful though, there is some basic information in the SSCP that differs from the Sec+ terminology. If I remember correctly it was either the triple A and/or the CIA triad.... Hmmm, it's been a while now, but I do remember it was confusing to study for both at one time.[/quote]

Thanks, it should be an intense week and will try to re-test while it is all still fresh in my mind...