Options

Question on E-mail Option

coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
Hi guys,
My cousin asked me this question about his e-mail account.
How can he hide his e-mail address on his forwarding messages.
he is now using yahoo, and he believes that gmail has that hide option. i couldnt find it.
or is there any way that he can substitute his e-mail address on his reply or forwarding messages with another e-mail address.
hope u guys know what i mean

thanks
"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Do you mean spoofing another email address (send as another person) or hiding your own (anon email)?

It is possible but I have to ask 'Why woudl he want to do this'?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    There are ways to spoof your email. Just search around on Google. I'm sure you'll find something helpful there.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    the reason why he wants to do that is this:

He is a regional director of one company, and when people want to contact him, the only e-mail to contact they provided him is the company's e-mail. I think they did not want to give him his own e-mail account for some reason.
    So, they forward all the messages to his yahoo e-mail account. Then, when he replies to those messages, it shows his yahoo mail addresses in the sender info. He prefers to have his company's e-mail address in the sender info so that the receiver knows where the mail is coming from.
    Only thing i could solve his problem was to configure his yahoo email options.
    I put his company's address under Reply to: hiscompany@corp.com

So, i guess he wants to do Spoofing.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There are settings for most POP3 clients, as well as Gmail, to set a "from" field when you're sending emails. I believe, in Gmail, it's under the regular settings menu. It should have a tab at the top that says "Accounts", and you click on the "edit info" link next to the "Send Mail as:" field. There, you can specify your "from" field. Whatever email address you put in that field, will be what the recepients see as the email the mail was sent from. Keep in mind, this won't hide your headers, and your email address can still be discovered by a little snooping. . . however, if someone replies straight to your email, it'll be sent to the reply address in the "from" field.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    thanks guys,

I had found a solution, which is to upgrade his Yahoo e-mail to business account. It comes with 1 personal address <you@yourcompanyname.com>, and 5 e-mail accounts for $34.95/month.
    Not bad for a small business solutions.
    I will also check out gmail options, too.
    My question is, if gmail allow you to do that, why would such a top site yahoo be blocking it?
    They should allow it, too.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    My guess is that Yahoo sees an opportunity to make money. Google gives away a lot of features with Gmail: POP3 capabilities, custom reply messages, a word processor and spreadsheet editor, the ability to behave as a POP3 client. . . you name it.

Google also gives away exactly as much inbox space to each customer as the email admin at Google headquarters in Mountain View requires. Each time your space is bumped, that means that his inbox just got full and automatically allocated more space. Isn't big business wonderful?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mikephyu wrote:
    thanks guys,

I had found a solution, which is to upgrade his Yahoo e-mail to business account. It comes with 1 personal address <you@yourcompanyname.com>, and 5 e-mail accounts for $34.95/month.
    Not bad for a small business solutions..

For $35 a year you can register and own 3 domains of your choice with 1and1.com. Then you get to create and manage 500 email accounts for those domains. That's a lot better than 5 emails for $35 a month....
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    wow..thanks spymark
    THAT is a heck of a deal. i will inform my cousin right now
    and also have another question

i should make new topic, but too lazy..hehe
    ok..here it is

i sometimes lose connection to the internet.
    this happens like twice a week. I use Belkin 54g Wireless Router via Verizon DSL Modem sitting in the living room.
    i have a lap top, desk top is in my bedroom, and another desk top is in the basement. No problem with Wireless Access Point on all threes, because reception is fine. They receive 48-54Mbps. Connection was working fine last nite, then suddenly none of the stations will be able to have internet connection in the morning.
    Everytime it happens, i turn off the DSL Modem for like 10-15 secs, then back on. Then, wah-la! i have connection again. Also tried, IPCONFIG/release and /renew, wondering it has something to do with the lease. Still the problem arises time to time.
    I guess this has something to do with routing issues.
    So, i went inside my Belkin Router, and tried to reconfigure default gateway, but i dobut it.
    I dont think its my router. I dont know how to go into the DSL Modem.
    Any suggestions guys?
  • Options
    Mikephyu wrote:
    wow..thanks spymark

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hosting;jsessionid=AEE01A40883E688453D0F45F34DC86EB.TC60b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static
    Mikephyu wrote:
    I dont know how to go into the DSL Modem.
    Any suggestions guys?

Check the Deault Gateway and/or DNS servers listed on your router's WAN side. That should be the IP Address of your DSL modem, accessible via http://ipaddress.
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mikephyu wrote:
    wow..thanks spymark
    and also have another question

i should make new topic, but too lazy..hehe
    ok..here it is

i sometimes lose connection to the internet.
    this happens like twice a week. I use Belkin 54g Wireless Router via Verizon DSL Modem sitting in the living room.
    i have a lap top, desk top is in my bedroom, and another desk top is in the basement. No problem with Wireless Access Point on all threes, because reception is fine. They receive 48-54Mbps. Connection was working fine last nite, then suddenly none of the stations will be able to have internet connection in the morning.
    Everytime it happens, i turn off the DSL Modem for like 10-15 secs, then back on. Then, wah-la! i have connection again. Also tried, IPCONFIG/release and /renew, wondering it has something to do with the lease. Still the problem arises time to time.
    I guess this has something to do with routing issues.
    So, i went inside my Belkin Router, and tried to reconfigure default gateway, but i dobut it.
    I dont think its my router. I dont know how to go into the DSL Modem.
    Any suggestions guys?

Have you checked that the router is set to an "always on" connection....these soho routers usually have a timeout set by default if inactive.....

It's not to do with DHCP if it is the above as your machine will keep the address just not be able to communicate outside your LAN to the internet....also could be a line fault if the connection is dropping
  • Options
    i ran IPCONFIG/all

and i found out that
    Default gateway and DHCP have the same IP address.
    Is that the problem?
  • Options
    coldbug wrote:
    i ran IPCONFIG/all

and i found out that
    Default gateway and DHCP have the same IP address.
    Is that the problem?

Not necessarily. That just means your router is handing out IP's. Pretty standard setup.