Options

XP Activation help please...

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
I'm doing some work for a friend.....his system was buggy, very buggy. Hooked the HD up to another machine, ran Norton and Ad-Aware....Norton removed the user32 virus, and ad-aware found 885 objects to remove.....now, we can't login due to the activation screen...he bought it all ready to go, pre-installed. He can't find his manuals, and the key sticker is worn off and unreadable. I tried to activate it over the phone, and I was told we had to call the OEM people, and my friend doesn't even know where he bought it.

I know there's a way around this thing in safe mode or something,.......right???

anyone???
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    And the key sticker is worn off and unreadable.
    If I remember correctly, Microsoft released a utility that allows you to retrieve the product key from the system, and that should work in Safe Mode.
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    You can also download Rockxp and it will retreive product keys for the system
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml will allow you to retrieve your product key.

Not sure if it will work in Safe Mode though.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    theseman wrote:
    You can also download Rockxp and it will retreive product keys for the system

Is it shareware or freeware? Do you have a website or can I Google up quick? Sounds like a helpful utility to have in the bag of tricks.
    It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Use the magic jellybean. It's free and works great.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The Magic Jellybean is good, the Magic Jellybean knows all. . . err. . . yeah, use the Magic Jellybean, it works really well.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep. It'll also get you your office keys, etc. I keep a file with all the computers and their windows/office keys. When I started working here, they just had all the software in a box, and I had no clue what went where.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Thanks all......I'll try the MJB......
    i remain, he who remains to be....