Options

Dell to stop offering XP

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070412/tc_pcworld/130657

I didn't think it was true, I just thought the Dell Sales rep was trying to screw around with our purchaser and try to get us to get some vista machines....

How many of you guys have companies that buy directly from Dell?

Comments

• Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I haven't been out to the box stores lately and checked out pc's but I would imagine that you won't find many, if any that have XP on them. Bestbuy online, just shows different Vista versions for different PC's. It is called living on the bleeding edge of technology!

:D
  • Options
    Oh I'm sure you can't find a XP based machine in stores now... but thats one thing... forcing Vista down businesses throats just seems crazy.... I know a few places I've worked at that barely have enough memory for XP let alone vista.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Certain systems Dell has been phasing it out, but I just ordered 3 systems last week with XP and quoted 6 more yesterday. Perhaps the home users cannot get it, but business can for a little while yet.

Otherwise, consider Open_Value licensing or Open_Business. Then you can control your CAL usage and just order the hardware.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Yeah for the time being its ok, we just got 3 new systems in yesterday. From what that article sounds like though after the beginning of the year you won't be able to order anymore systems from Dell with XP on it.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    BigTone wrote:

How many of you guys have companies that buy directly from Dell?

I do but ran into the same problem you did. I recently purchased Open licenses from CDW for XP that contained not only XP but vista and XP product keys. Look into that.

On another note, I priced out a server today from Dell. The server was over 10 grand without Exchange! The higher end server two years ago with Exchange was only 6 grand! Prices have risen, and MS is in everyone's pockets. Creating a 64 bit mandatory Exchange forces companies to upgrade their servers. So MS cannot create a 32bit exchange? Ms cannot provide support for Exchange 2000 any more? Every link for Exchange 2003 pushes you to Exchange 2007 promo page. Imagine if automakers had the same mentality MS and hardware manufactures do? Even though your 00' Cadillac runs good and works for you, we have stopped support on that model. We will no longer inform you of recalls and we are going to make the documentation on 00' Cadillacs extremely tough to uncover. There is a chance you may die while traveling if you do not upgrade. F^ck MS
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    your definitely right...

I think Microsoft is too quick to release new versions of software while problems still exist on thier current systems, there are so many companies out who are still using 2000 server platforms...now it's abt to release Longhorn (way too soon).
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One of our bosses said we might get Vista after 2012, when they get the bugs out! icon_lol.gif Even if they TRIED to sell us Vista, the corporate image goes right over it.
    Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Apparently Microsoft believes they can make more money off of Vista rather than raking in the thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of licenses they sell for XP every year... icon_confused.gif What I expect to happen now is with MS's horrid track record of selling OSs requiring major patches before they are considered "safe" (*cough* '98SR, SP2, etc.), people will back-off even more. Why the hell would you shell out over $300 for a Vista license when your company's apps work perfectly fine on XP?

Vista is really nothing special or new. The "new search tools" are a load of crap. Also, my last CCNA instructor told the class, "if you want to impress idiots or managers, try flashing lights. A wiring closet with lots of flashing lights will absolutely floor them!" And that is exactly what Aero's purpose is. I'm perfectly content with XP's 2D interface. It works. It has worked for the past 30+ years!

I for one am disgusted with how Microsoft has handled the release of Vista. The "content control" tools and Windows "Defender" (HA!) are absolutely unexusable. Obviously, product testing and quality control was not the first thing on Window's mind. For example, root kits and hacks for Vista already exist in droves, despite Windows denying their source code to the antivirus companies in order to thwart that (apparently)...

Unless my future job requires me to learn how Vista operates, there is no way in hell I am going to touch that bastardized marketing tool excuse for an OS. icon_evil.gif
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Our importer for HP decided we should force Vista on our clients by discontinuing XP. We called their rep into our office and explained that if we could not get HP machines with XP on that we would discontinue our partnership and move to Lenono - while we were at it we would drop HP printers and stock something else like Canon and Lexmark.
    Next week we will have a supply of HP machines with XP installed icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Why the hell would you shell out over $300 for a Vista license when your company's apps work perfectly fine on XP?

Vista is really nothing special or new.

You are correct. When comparing marketing and Sales for XP and Vista- XP did a lot better when it was released. At that time XP was needed. Because MS made such great progress with 95 to NT to 98 to 2000 to XP they feel they its about time for a new OS, given the track record. However, I think the evolution of software has kind of hit a flat point where nothing great has or needs to happen for a few more years. We are finally in a time where pcs that are 3,4 or even 5 years old are compatible to run the same software and I think the industry does not like that. For MS to push a non needed Vista on us is wrong, along with a mandatory 64 bit Exchange is just disgusting. I seriously despise MS and their business practices of being in every vendor and processor's pockets.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    I seriously despise MS and their business practices of being in every vendor and processor's pockets.

I would despise them too, if it weren't for the fact that I am probably more jealous than disgusted. icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    BigTone wrote:
    Oh I'm sure you can't find a XP based machine in stores now... but thats one thing... forcing Vista down businesses throats just seems crazy.... I know a few places I've worked at that barely have enough memory for XP let alone vista.

Dell brings back XP on home systems!

"We heard you loud and clear on bringing the Windows XP option back to our Dell consumer PC offerings," Dell said on its Ideas in Action page.

http://news.com.com/Dell+brings+back+XP+on+home+systems/2100-1046_3-6177619.html?tag=nefd.lede

Happy Now?
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    Don't think they had a choice.

They prob experiencing bad sales
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Have any of you looked at open Bus pricing on Office 2007? Good grief.

Anyway, money is the voting power, so if people continue to 'vote' with their dollars (or currency) and MS continues to sell licensing....they'll keep marketing it anyway they can.

I do agree, getting hit with Exchange 2007 only as 64-bit is a bit of downer icon_sad.gif Probably does make good sense for MS to start moving things onto 64-bit only, but geez... that was quite a blow. The good news is that it's pretty tough to purchase a 'new' server (Dell anyway) without the hardware supporting 64-bit..so only need the NOS to complete the package.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?