Options

What's the best way to do this?

mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
I'm studying use the MS Press book (through chapter 2). I have the evaluation CD on a Dell P4 machine but I want to instead use it on an Athlon machine and put something else on the Dell. Usually just imaging it and moving to another architecture doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions or will I have to start it all from scratch? And will my license work again? The exercises in the book go in order so I would have to readd everything to AD, etc if I started from scratch.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    There is specilaised imaging software which allows you to scan for the required drivers when you restore to another computer with different hardware. I have a product call Acronis True Image 9.1 Worksation with Universal Restore. However, I've never had it successfuly pick up drivers between Intel platforms let alone from Intel to AMD.

If you have activated Win Server 2003 on your Dell and you do a new install on the AMD, it will not allow anotyher activation. It will say you have actoivated the product before.

You have two options:
    1 - Ring the number the wizard gives and tell them you've upgraded to a new platform. They (Microsoft) will give you a new product key over the phone.

2 - Log onto www.microsoft.com and find a trial version fo Server 2003 with SP2. They'll e-mail a key and instrcutions on download. Obviosuly, you don;t need to download the whole product. Just wait for the key to arrive and use this.

I was in the same boat as you are and this is what I did.
  • Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    I have Acronis True Image and I am having the darndest time finding the Acronis Universal Restore extra. Where can you download it from?
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    It's evaluation software...... You can install it as many times as you like with the key provided......... But each install only lasts for 180 days..............

:D

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    turkkenturkken Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, you can get more keys through the MS site. I have requested a few keys in the last few months (2 running at home, 1 at work). I don't know if they would send a person 100 180-day keys, but I haven't had any problems getting a few. The "store" makes it look like you are buying a key, but if you select the eval version it comes to $0 and they send you a key.

Of course I am assuming in this case you are installing a new server from scratch, but it is a good way to practice some other backup\restore methods that might show up on the 290 test - such as backing up and restoring an Active Directory server.

You could also maybe add a second domain controller with the second license and let everything sync up before you take down the first (this obviously won't sync everything, but will help somewhat). In this case I think you would also have to add a few services that normally are only on the 1st DC in a domain, but that would be a good learning experience too.

And come to think of it starting over and going through the book wouldn't be bad either - heck you'll have to know this stuff so well you'll be sick of it by the test anyhow :)

Good luck.
  • Options
    rstainforthrstainforth Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you could try bunign the HDD in the new box and trying a repair install....we did this recently with an exchange server and moved it from an old HP chassis to a newer Intel box, and it worked fine. With the AD stuff it will leave your DC and AD metadata intact, too :)