Options

PC Wont Boot

rynikrynik Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

Im juststarting out on my cetification track and stumbled on this page which looks great.

However my main PC i use (or was going to use) for study has had some problems and I wondered if anyone here could help a newb out?

I got blue screens concerning pagefaults, so i assumed memory error.

I moved the RAM to a different slot and booted and still had same problems so i moved it back again.

However PC will not boot now, i press the power button and it switches straight back off again.
No beeps.
No bells or whistles either.
The monitor on my other PC works off the power supply from my main so i guess that works fine.
However the PC does not boot with RAM in slot or without RAM in slot (would a PC boot with no RAM)
Is it just a new RAM module i need or is there a further problem?

Sorry to be a pain with this first post!! icon_cry.gif

Edited-- I forgot to mention it stays on if you hold the power button but switches off immidatley if you let go again.

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds to me that you have a power supply problem.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Thanks for replying so quickley.

Could this still be the case if the monitor works fine off the same PSU (ie is powered from the monitor connector)

I only have a 350W PSU to try and the present one is 450W so i would have to buy one to test this....
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Yes a PC will boot with no RAM inserted it will provide error beeps however.

Im not sure bout PSU working for monitor but not MOBO however.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Edited-- I forgot to mention it stays on if you hold the power button but switches off immidatley if you let go again.

Interesting......

Can you unplug the case power switch from the motherboard...
    Then take a flat head screwdriver

Find the pins the Switch was plugged into on the MB then make a connection between the 2 pins with the screw driver.... This should turn the computer on....
  • Options
    Sorry that was a bit misleading, the fans wizz away as normal but i got now display even with button held down. Sorry to confuse.

Do you still want me to try this?
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I would firstly check the pinouts on the Motherboard ensure that everything is connected properly.

Ensure that your PSU is connected to the motherboard

If everything is connected properly and your still getting no power then touch the power switch pins with a screwdriver.

If your still not getting any power then it would seem that your number 1 culprit would be a dead PSU.

Regarding the RAM issue as mentioned in some cases you are able to power on a machine without RAM ( you usually would be presented with BIOS beep codes)

In other cases the machine would not power on.

Testing Ram is fairly straight forward usually can be acomplished with memtest which is a free diagnostic tool which can be downloaded free from the internet.

It comes in a Bootable cd varient but you can also create a bootable Floppy version.

( But you would need power to your computer to acomplish this!!!! )

Hope this helps

Ally
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Latest -

With or without RAM in system it: Power button (switch shorted) theres a short 'eh' beep (not normal all post test ok beep) and power cuts off. (literally on a second at very very most)

So i agree PSU or RAM, my question is, you know there a mail and female connector on PSU's one for power and one for monitor (so you dont have to use seperate power cable)

Would on work without the other?

I just want to make sure if i am to buy a PSU or RAM i then dont have to buy the other one.

Anyone suggest anything else to narrow it down?

(Im not doubting those who said PSU i just dont want to buy wrong thing, PS would a 400W work instead of a 450W?)

(Its a K8UPGRADE-NF3 MOBO)
  • Options
    boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    If it was RAM then you could just pull all RAM out and it would give you beep codes but wouldn't typically shutdown. I would be thinking PS, but you need to try another PS and then work from there, while you are pulling out RAM pull out modems and other cards, I have seen a burnt out modem keep a PC from booting. Hope this helps, let us know.

:)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd take absolutely everything off your mobo and try booting that way. Unhook all the ide cables, power connections, agp/pci cards, cpu, ram, etc., then reconnect the power and try booting that way. If that works, add the cpu and the memory, and keep going until you get it back up and running or find a specific component that's a problem. I've had been able to get a few PCs that had trouble booting back to normal by simply reseating the video card. Just make sure you're properly grounded while you're working with all this. It sounds like you shorted something out while playing around with the memory.
  • Options
    Ok fans etc only run when i remove the ATX 12V cable from the motherboard but i get a series of three beeps when i do this.

Bad motherboard?

(tested with another psu and does the same)
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    One thing you can try doing (if you are comfortable with it) is checking the voltage levels with a Multimeter coming from the P1 power cable, while it is connected to the motherboard. If there is a problem with the power connection on the MB itself, then there should be some evidence. Just poke the ground line from the multimeter into a ground line on the power cable, and then try each cable that should be carrying voltage. If the line is dead, that would indicate a broken circuit. Anyway, this is just something that we did for a lab exercise in one of my classes, so I don't know how reliable it is...

As for the three beeps, each motherboard and bios are unique, and different manufacturers use different codes. I suggest checking out the motherboard and/or manufacturer's website and see if they list their own error codes. That might help...

Good luck!

*Edit*

Ooops, I just realized you said you removed only the 12v cable. Well, my statement still stands. Check that cord as well. :P
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rynik wrote:
    Ok fans etc only run when i remove the ATX 12V cable from the motherboard but i get a series of three beeps when i do this.

Bad motherboard?

(tested with another psu and does the same)

What wattage is the power supply running at? Also, did you use the same wattage supply to test with?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    It was using a 450W (wont power on with 12V connected but will disconnected)
    Spare was a 350W (all i had and it has same effect as above)

I dont have a multimeter to take readings, proberbly cost me more than just a replacement motherboard anyways icon_lol.gif

Maybe RAM is shot and hence the beeps when it tries to boot but that wouldnt explain why it wont power on with 12V attached unless it was a Motherboard/PSU issue. (Thinking maybe got memory errors before due to a semi-dud motherboard)

I just dont have all the spare parts i would like to be able to swap test everything and dont have the cash to replace everything icon_sad.gif

Just had a look for error codes and cannot find anything can anyone suggest where to look (yes i tried manfucturs website and manual also google with 'k8upgrade-nf3+error codes')
  • Options
    nuionuio Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have this MB AsROCK and I have the same problem like you, I can not switch it on! Only by pressing the power button all the time then it moves the fans, but the monitor is black, no bios etc., when I give the finger out from the power button, the PC will shut down! I can not understand it! Everything is plugged correctly and I have also the other PowerSupply, Its definitely functioned but it do the same thing! What is wrong??? Please help! Problem can be in the connection of small cables to the front case system panel header. I dont know, what cable is necessary for starting the PC! Power SW??? Power BTN??? It doesnt suit to the MB as per the scheme in the manual, power button small cable has 3 pins.!!!

I dont know and I am very sad from this, please help me if you can!!!
    Thanks for any suggestion. MAREK

Interesting......

Can you unplug the case power switch from the motherboard...
    Then take a flat head screwdriver

Find the pins the Switch was plugged into on the MB then make a connection between the 2 pins with the screw driver.... This should turn the computer on....
  • Options
    Hi,

After more playing, MOBO will boot with everything but Processor in.

Should i bite the bullet and buy a new one or is it possible it coule be MOBO aswell / instead??

Im trying to find a mate who has a socket 754 processor / mobo to test but not doing well..... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

(removing the 12V cable does boot the system (ie stays on and fans spin) but i get no display, etc. The Bios beep code i get is - 9 beeps indicate faulty BIOS chip(s). It is not likely that this error can be corrected by reseating the
    chips. Consult the motherboard supplier or an AMI product distributor for replacement part(s).)

I just want to be sure before i strt buying more pieces!!!!
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Rynik,

Still dont count out the power supply.

The processor takes a large portion of the power supply output so quite possibly you coule boot will all but processor plugged in with a faulty power supply.

I would beg / steal / borrow a power supply to the same wattage as was working before and test that before buying anything else, if you have tested a power supply with a lower wattage it may not be enough to power your system.

(Others correct me if im talking rubbish icon_lol.gif )
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Sie wrote:
    Rynik,

Still dont count out the power supply.

The processor takes a large portion of the power supply output so quite possibly you coule boot will all but processor plugged in with a faulty power supply.

I would beg / steal / borrow a power supply to the same wattage as was working before and test that before buying anything else, if you have tested a power supply with a lower wattage it may not be enough to power your system.

(Others correct me if im talking rubbish icon_lol.gif )

I agree. You could just buy a power supply, test it, and if you don't need the power, return to the store.......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The first thing I would do is disconnect the monitor from the power supply and connect that to the wall socket - then see what happens. The monitor will certainly drag down a suspect power supply.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    nuio wrote:
    I have this MB AsROCK and I have the same problem like you, I can not switch it on! Only by pressing the power button all the time then it moves the fans, but the monitor is black, no bios etc., when I give the finger out from the power button, the PC will shut down! I can not understand it! Everything is plugged correctly and I have also the other PowerSupply, Its definitely functioned but it do the same thing! What is wrong??? Please help! Problem can be in the connection of small cables to the front case system panel header. I dont know, what cable is necessary for starting the PC! Power SW??? Power BTN??? It doesnt suit to the MB as per the scheme in the manual, power button small cable has 3 pins.!!!

I dont know and I am very sad from this, please help me if you can!!!
    Thanks for any suggestion. MAREK
    i think this may be an asrock issue. i have a asrock motherboard and i have a very simular issue. every once in a while when i reboot or power the computer on, everything will turn on, but nothing will display. the monitor will look as if its on and has a cable connected, but not getting any signal. After a while the computer will boot, POST, and act normal.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    rynik wrote:

Could this still be the case if the monitor works fine off the same PSU (ie is powered from the monitor connector)

I only have a 350W PSU to try and the present one is 450W so i would have to buy one to test this....

rynik,

What make and model is your CPU?
  • Options
    rynik wrote:

rynik,

Its an AMD Sempron 3000+
  • Options
    rynik wrote:
    rynik wrote:

rynik,

Its an AMD Sempron 3000+

rynik,

Does the 350W power supply have a 2x2 power connector for the CPU?
  • Options
    Yes it has the 20 pin and the 4 pin connectors.
  • Options
    rynik wrote:
    Yes it has the 20 pin and the 4 pin connectors.

rynik,

Have you verified the jumper settings on the motherboard according to page 13 of the "ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 User Manual?"

Source:
    1. ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 User Manual - http://download.asrock.com/manual/K8Upgrade-NF3.pdf
  • Options
    Yes these are all fine, it 'was' working then just stopped after switch RAM to another slot. (and was swapped back again)

I have brought a 500W power supply to test later.
  • Options
    rynik wrote:
    Yes these are all fine, it 'was' working then just stopped after switch RAM to another slot. (and was swapped back again)

I have brought a 500W power supply to test later.

rynik,

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
  • Options
  • Options
    power supply replaced by 500W, still have same problems. icon_cry.gif

MOBO or Processor now?? How do i tell which??

(that is RAM and PSU replaced so far £65 for no reason) icon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gif