Options

is there any prerequesition for Security+?

kannan2winkannan2win Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is there any prerequisition required for doing Security+?(like Network+, A+). I currently have CCNA and i have 5 years experience in Network.

Your responce is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    kannan2win wrote:
    Is there any prerequisition required for doing Security+?(like Network+, A+). I currently have CCNA and i have 5 years experience in Network.

Your response is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Nope, you can take the Security+ whenever you want... Although I would advise waiting to take the Security+ until you know you can pass it.... This one (for most people) requires some extra effort in studying.... I used 3 books and 3 months of study myself for this one.
  • Options
    Thank you verymuch for your response
  • Options
    securinatesecurinate Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Def. be sure to have a vast amount of knowledge before taking the Sec+. It does require that you know more then just what the acronym is. There are several good books out there as well as testing engines such as transcender and sybex. Also look into the notes that are posted on this site as they will help you out a great deal, plus it's free information! Good luck to you, let us know if you need any help.
  • Options
    Thanx buddy. I will do that
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    CompTIA recommends that you have A+ and Network+, or equivalent experience. Seeing as how you've already got your CCNA, I don't think you'll have any trouble with the networking concepts. From my experience with the Security+ exam, I kind of wish that I had done CCNA and the MCSA exams (70-270, 70-290, 70-291) before I took Security+. There were a lot of systems administration type of topics that I didn't have a real handle on beforehand, so I didn't "get" the security information the same way as I did with things I'd had previous experience with. At the time, I didn't have much Unix/Linux experience, so I kind of wish I'd done the Linux+ as well, before going on to security. That's not to say that I didn't learn a lot, especially when it came to things like security policies and social engineering, but a lot of the technology-specific stuff was a bit nebulous and abstract, and I'm only now putting a lot of it to practical use as I'm going through things like MCSA and CCNA.

I guess the short of it is this: there's no real prerequisite. However, the more you know going in, the more you get out of it at the end, since security covers just about all aspects of IT.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I did it in about a month of extremely intense studying with two books, Transcender, and CBT nuggets. I find security to be fascinating, which definitely helped me stick with it. The exam is extremely broad, so definitely give yourself adequate time to allow it to soak in. As someone else mentioned here the other day, the Security Now! podcast is a great way to get a good foundation quickly. I'd give that a listen if haven't already. You can pretty much start at the beginning and listen to all of them since they build on each other and are mostly conceptual, but a few are more topical.