Options

Security Now podcast a real help

Bob KiwiBob Kiwi Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I thought I'd toss a note about how much I feel the Security Now podcast from Twit/GRC helped me digest some security topics.

It's an hour long podcast between a security guy, Steve Gibson, and the show host. They cover encryption and ideas of security. Certainly not the only resource you should use to study, but if you have some time on your drive, you can give them a listen.

I've been trying to find more cert-related podcasts, but I haven't found too much. At least Security Now is completely about one topic!

Hope it helps!

Comments

• Options
    emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I listen to the Security Now podcast as well, their section on encryption helped me a bit. Just remeber to take Steve Gibson with a pinch of salt at times. He is a clever bloke but a bit paranoid and can jump to conclusions when he gets excited by somethings.

Jon
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree. It provided me with a solid foundation before I really delved into my studying. While Steve can can jump to conclusions, he's not above admitting he's wrong. Just be sure to tune in the next week or two to learn about any new developments.
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Love it here too, in fact, I was just listening this morning!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
    AWESOME!

I've been looking to see if there are any podcasts out there that would help someone go for the Security+ exam. I'll check these guys out when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the info!

bowing.gif
    A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Everyone has their own opinion and i just cant get into their show.

Ive probably listened to 10-12 of their shows and its not for me. After reading your posts i thought well maybe im being too critical. I fire up the web browsser go to their website and think hey lets hear a podcast. I click on their XSS podcast.

Im currently 1/3 of the way through this podcast and they have not even made reference to what the topic of the show is about. They have been talking about the comparison between a PDA and some sony ebook reader for the majority of the show.

I guess my biggest problem is the fact that they wander around so much and I have to wade through an hour of the broadcast to get 10 minutes of decent content.

The idea is great and im for anything free, educational, and security orientated.....but its just not for me.
  • Options
    too bad Richard Bejtlich doesnt have a show.....
  • Options
    Does anyone know if CompTIA has any Podcasts?
  • Options
    As far as i know there are no such thing as Comptia podcast.

There are however video series and so forth from 3rd party companies that cover the security+ objectives. I know its not a podcast, but its the closest that i can come up with. i know that there are a few people that record themselves reading their notes and things they find hard to memorize and then listen to it while driving or working out. You may try something like that .
  • Options
    As far as i know there are no such thing as Comptia podcast.

There are however video series and so forth from 3rd party companies that cover the security+ objectives. I know its not a podcast, but its the closest that i can come up with. i know that there are a few people that record themselves reading their notes and things they find hard to memorize and then listen to it while driving or working out. You may try something like that .

That sounds like a plan. I'll give that method a try. I just ordered the practice exam from PrepLogic. THEY ALSO HAVE A SPECIAL IN WHERE IF YOU ORDER THE PRACTICE EXAM THEY GIVE YOU A FREE VOUCHER TO TAKE THE EXAM. IT'S PRETTY COOL STUFF. I ordered the practice exam plus the lecture notes. I used their stuff for my A+ and Network+ exams and they helped out big time.

Thanks seuss_ssues!