Options

ICND - Day 1

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey Everyone,

Passed my Intro with a 950 a few days back and so today is the day I start on my ICND. So few questions I thought I'd throw out before I start.

1) Can I get away with a 2916 switch for the CCNA? What EXACTLY would I be missing? These are just SOOO much cheaper. And if I can't use these ones, anyone know where I can get a 2950 cheaper than ebay, $150 x 3, is out of the budget.

2) How much switching should I expect to do for the CCNA ICND. Most of the books I have flipped through (and sites), are telling me not to worry about it. To quote Ciscokits "1 or 2 questions." But given the number of chapters, I think I'd better take switching more seriously than they are recommending. I don't just want the cert, I really do want to know how to set a switch up in a production envionment, I can do that with a 1900 series now, but that skill is useless it seems.

3) I don't want to break any test disclosure rules here, reword this if needed... but I had a type of question on the intro test, I had never seen anywhere. Basically, it was like a drag and drop puzzle where you had networking devices and ip addresses and you have place them in the correct spots. And the subnet was really abstract, so it took A LOT of time (12-14 minutes). You then after you laid the addresses and devices, had to configure any devices you added to the network with specific commands. This one seemed WAY out of the scope of CCNA-Intro. Anyone know what I am talking about or have any examples they can point me to that I might be able to practice a few more of these. I'd hate to see it again on the ICND.
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I had the exact question you are refering to and I stared at the screeen for a good 3-4 minutes dumbfounded by it before things clicked and I started anwsering it. I have never seen any sim questions like the one I had on the Intro test that fits what you described, you just have to take it piece by piece and answer as best you can when you get something like that. As fopr your other questions I would like to see some answers as well since I'm studying for the ICND as well, currently reading chapter 11 now.
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    In regards to your switch questions, the 1900 has different commands than the 2950's. The Sybex book shows you how to achieve the same results for both of the switches using the different commands. I've posted the same type of question and from what answers I've gotten back, you probably should look less at the 1900 switch and commands and more at the 29xx series instead.

I got lucky and found a 2950 12 port on ebay recently for $170, but I also just bought a 2924 for $40. Shop around and see what you can find.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    2916 seem to be the cheapest of the 29xx series. Think I can do two of those and a 2950 for CCNA?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote:
    2916 seem to be the cheapest of the 29xx series. Think I can do two of those and a 2950 for CCNA?

Did you see any cheap 2924's out there?

I think you can get those at a very decent price right now.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    $40.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-CATALYST-2900-WS-C2924M-XL-EN-SWITCH-SERIES-2924_W0QQitemZ250105441481QQihZ015QQcategoryZ51256QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Should fly? Just from comparing what I can find online, I really don't see why I would need a 2950 over a 2924.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote:
    $40.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-CATALYST-2900-WS-C2924M-XL-EN-SWITCH-SERIES-2924_W0QQitemZ250105441481QQihZ015QQcategoryZ51256QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Should fly? Just from comparing what I can find online, I really don't see why I would need a 2950 over a 2924.

Same company I got mine from. I paid last night and already have a tracking number today.

You're going to want more than one switch (probably 3) to really be able to mess around with switching. A 2950 will serve you well once you start studying for your NP certs as well. I figured why not get it now?
  • Options
    I don't think I'm going to bother with CCNP. Going to start down after my Microsoft Certs after CCNA. So if 2924s will do, and save me some cash. That's what I'll do.

When I get done, I'll just ebay my whole labs with my books, switches and router.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote:
    I don't think I'm going to bother with CCNP. Going to start down after my Microsoft Certs after CCNA. So if 2924s will do, and save me some cash. That's what I'll do.

When I get done, I'll just ebay my whole labs with my books, switches and router.

BLASPHEMER!

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2 -- The CCNA covers Routing & Switching -- check the exam blueprint. If you just study for "2 switching questions" you'll fail.

1 -- Check out the deneb829 link in this thread - table 1. There are also links to other switch threads in that thread. If you don't do your research, you may wind up with a 2 meg non enterprise switch that can't be upgraded.

When in doubt, look for a deal on a 2924.... the last current image merged all the functionality into just the one image.

3. Sounds like a drag and drop.... but maybe with pretty pictures rather than boring rectangles with text. Or it could be a "new trial SIM" -- ungraded for now -- which is why we say not to spend more than 10 minutes on a SIM.

And from another WS-C2924-XL thread
    Paul Boz wrote:
    Just for you guys information, not all 2900XL switches can be upgraded to version 12 of IOS.

From Cisco's website:
    The 4-MB Catalyst 2900 XL switches do not have sufficient memory to be upgraded to this release. The 4-MB models are WS-C2908-XL, WS-C2916M-XL, WS-C2924C-XL, and WS-C2924-XL. These switches must run Release 11.2(8.x)SA6 to be cluster members.

Please keep this in mind if you're in the market for a cheap switch. You don't want to spend $75-$100 on a switch that doesn't have enough memory to upgrade from 11.x.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!