Options

Just starting a lab

ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
Hey. I just started my home lab, and I mean just. I started out with one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-2521-Router-8-8-12-1-IOS-Accessories_W0QQitemZ260108188613QQihZ016QQcategoryZ67317QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What should I get next? More memory? Another one?

I don't need practice with switches because my job involves maintaining an entire campus worth of 3560s. Thanks for any advice.
More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.

Comments

• Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Obviously, I'll need to buy another router or two. I'm not sure why I posted that. Anyway, with the 2500 series, they only have one DRAM slot and the maximum memory is 16 megabytes, correct? So, to max out the memory, I will simply need to install a 16 megabyte DRAM module.

It also works the same for the flash memory, right? When replacing the flash memory, I'll need to reinstall IOS, right?

Now, is a new IOS something that my boss might be able to get for me? We have a ton of cisco gear here and he's downloaded IOS versions before, but only to install on campus. If not, where can I go about purchasing a newer version.

I'm thinking of getting another 2521, or possibly a 2524 or a 2507. I also intend to get an 804 possibly. Bear in mind that I'm looking at the pdf from ciscokits.com for these suggestions.

Also, I apologize for my entirely incoherent previous post. :)
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    er, do you already have token ring NICs, cables, equipment, etc? other wise you're going to have to pick up another router for ethernet..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-2610-Router-48-16MB-2600-Series_W0QQitemZ260107592760QQihZ016QQcategoryZ51202QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i'd probably get this if i were you , but i guess it depends on your budget. that seller has 2 2610s and 2611's for sale, i wish i had the cash as its a decent price. i just bought a 2620 from them, so they he is a good seller.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685