Options

In way over me head it seems...?

r1000r1000 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all...

A little background... I have been with my current company a little over 2 years...

It's a support job, but we have a lot of access to such things as file servers, application servers, and little bit of exchange and also routers.

I decided to "attempt" to get CCNA. But I just finished the 1st chapter of the Sybex 5th addition, I'm not a slow reader but I have been busy ( closing on a house ), but it took me almost 2 weeks to get past that chapter. I thought going into that there would be a lot of content that I'd be familiar with. But man it seemed new to me... Very complex material.

Was is like this for all you CCNA's? Or should I maybe shoot for MS certs?

Also whats this I hear that the CCNA is only good for 2 years.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do not worry about that, in the beginning I felt like you (I received some training with Telecommunication before), so keep reading the Chapters for subnetting it is little more difficult (I skip that chapter and review it at the end). You will need to read some chapter 3 to 6 times (that it is my case), but every time that you review and take notes you will feel confortable with the material.

The first time I read the book completely one time, under line the most important parts, I did the labs too, then I began to review the book taking notes. It is a little hard but it pay off.

I will make it.

Raul
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    r1000 wrote:
    Hello all...

A little background... I have been with my current company a little over 2 years...

It's a support job, but we have a lot of access to such things as file servers, application servers, and little bit of exchange and also routers.

I decided to "attempt" to get CCNA. But I just finished the 1st chapter of the Sybex 5th addition, I'm not a slow reader but I have been busy ( closing on a house ), but it took me almost 2 weeks to get past that chapter. I thought going into that there would be a lot of content that I'd be familiar with. But man it seemed new to me... Very complex material.

Was is like this for all you CCNA's? Or should I maybe shoot for MS certs?

Also whats this I hear that the CCNA is only good for 2 years.

Thanks in advance

CCNA is valid for 3 years, then you get to do it all over again! icon_twisted.gif
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The INTRO portion of the CCNA overlaps a lot with the CompTIA Network+ certification.... so if you don't have a networking background, that may be a good place to start.

The CCNA is good for 3 years -- but it gets recertified each time you take a Cisco Professional Level Exam -- so Cisco has added the incentive not just to stay current, but to increase your knowledge.

Check out the CCNA Forum FAQ if you haven't already seen it. If you follow some of the "starting out" links you should find some Cisco links to check out -- like the Exam Blueprint/Topic pages and the Cisco CCNA Prep Center.

When you are first starting out you do have to learn a bunch of trivia, but if you stick with it, you eventually hit the fun stuff. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Why not try Network+ first instead of CCNA ?

It might suit you better in the long run rather than struggling with the CCNA. Also, counts toward your MCSE as an elective with A+.
    Kam.
  • Options
    r1000r1000 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote:
    Why not try Network+ first instead of CCNA ?

It might suit you better in the long run rather than struggling with the CCNA. Also, counts toward your MCSE as an elective with A+.

You know that might not be a bad Idea.... I will look into this option...

Thanks fellas