Options

No page file

motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
Hey guys,
I have a slight problem. A Dell PC crapped out on me the other day (bad mobo) and I needed to get some info. off the HD. I tried putting it in as a slave on another Dell(same model but different HD manufacturer) and it initially showed up but upon reboot wouldn't show up again. I then attached it by itself and it worked and I grabbed what I needed. Now when I try to reconnect the original HD I'm getting a 'No page file found error' and it proceeds to tell me how to fix it once I can get to My Computer but therein lies the problem. I can't get to the Desktop. When I click okay on the error message it acts like its logging me off showing me the 'Saving your settings' box and then goes straight to Ctrl+Alt+Delete. I tried Safe Mode and I get the same problem. Also tried Last Known Good Config. and no dice. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you power it up and remotely connect to Computer Management on it? If you can, go to Disk Manager and see what the drive letter is. If it has been changed from C: you have to correct it remotely through regedit. Let me know and if it appears to be the problem I'll see if I can dig up the MS KB document.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    No, I can't connect remotely. It's running W2k(no remote desktop capabilities, right? icon_redface.gif ) and I don't have anything else i.e. pcanywhere or dameware utilities at my disposal.
  • Options
    Can you just open computer management on any domain computer, then right click on the "Computer Management, Local" icon and select "Connect to another computer"?
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    motherwolf wrote:
    No, I can't connect remotely. It's running W2k(no remote desktop capabilities, right? icon_redface.gif ) and I don't have anything else i.e. pcanywhere or dameware utilities at my disposal.

You can get a free 30 day trial with DameWare.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    It's a no go Sprky, it won't connect. Giving me a Logical Disk Message error. When I checked the system logs and clicked on the error it said access denied. I was logged on as an Admin. so I'm guessing it not a permission thing. I also disabled the firewall because it wouldn't allow a connection at first. But still nothing.
  • Options
    Can you do a START>RUN>\\computername\c$ or START>RUN>\\computername\d$

I suspect the drive letter was changed when you put in the other drive, and now since Windows thinks the C drive (system drive) is gone, it thinks there is no page file. Depending on exactly what kind of access you can get is how we need to attempt a fix. Can you connect through regedit?

Start regedit, then go to FILE>CONNECT NETWORK REGISTRY

Let me know. BTW - Have you tried booting to a W2K CD and running a repair?
  • Options
    yeah, i'll try those options out as well on Monday. I also have an ERD Commander disk that I'll try, unfortunately I didn't have it with me today. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    motherwolf wrote:
    yeah, i'll try those options out as well on Monday.

Fridays are cool! icon_cool.gif:)
    Have a good weekend.