Options

Setting up MPLS test Lab?

redgoblinredgoblin Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know this isn't really a CCNA topic, but I've got 4 2500's and 2 2600's that I've been using for my CCNA lab, and I would like to create a small MPLS 'cloud' with a couple of the routers as the remote sites. Anyone have any advice if this is possible with the routers I have and the best way to go about doing this?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think that its still available.... but there was an experimental IOS for the 2500 where a Cisco Engineer had added some MPLS support. The link is in a thread in the CCIP forum.

For the 2600s, you might have to boot from a TFTP server to run a newer 2600XM image that has MPLS support -- but a search through the Cisco IOS Feature Navigator would let you know for sure what 2600 IOS images support MPLS.

In the CCNP forum there is a CCNP Lab Equipment discussion where I commented on the suggested Labs for the new CCNP exams as they were posted on the Cisco CCNP Prep Center. The 3 router MPLS lab has got to be a joke.... unless they are covering just the basic commands.

The best solution for studying MPLS is to use Dynamips. This is a post where I collect the good Dynamips/Dynagen links. There is a link to the Internetwork Expert Dynamips page where you can download their Dynagen Topology files for their R&S and Service Provider lab configurations. The more powerful your PC, the more emulated routers you will be able to run.... and the more fun MPLS stuff you can do.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    redgoblinredgoblin Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice Mike :) I'll look into Dynamips as it doesn't really seem feasible to do it with the equipment I have.

My main motivation for doing this is that I work for a Service Provider where we do alot of MPLS troubleshooting. I figured it would be nice to know how to set it up so that I could understand exactly what I was doing (eg VRF's).