Options

Old CCNA'er looking to be certified again ;)

geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
Hi

First post here - looks like a good site!

I self-studied what seems like years ago - well actually it was that nearly 7 years ago -Tempus Fugit... !! icon_eek.gif

Anyway, I used the Todd Lammle Sybex 640-507 study guide then and wondered if using the ... - 801 would be equally successful or perhaps the
Osborne/McGraw-Hill,U.S.; Pap/Cdr edition (31 Aug 2003), # ISBN-10: 0072229349; # ISBN-13: 978-0072229349
instead?

Help in this matter much appreciated. I passed with 947 last time and did use the Boson tests which got me 'exam ready' if you like and something like that would be good too.

TIA. :)

(P.S. I had a quick flit through the good FAQs :) )
I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    hey man,

Yeah, this is a good site. Done well for me at least. Got my Net+ and half way through CCNA here. I am working with the Cisco press books, and the detail is great for someone like me, who knew nothing about networking coming into this.

But if you already have a background in this, I can't see you gaining much from those books, I have the todd book-801, which does very little explaining, and cuts right to what you "need to know" for the test. So I'd would just get that, if I were you.

If you were already CCNA you should not have much trouble. As I understand it, the big difference is that they ditched Novell/Appletalk/TokenRing and the 1900 series switches. And replaced those, with great detail to switching on the 2950 switch. And subnetting with ip-zero. Of couse, I am new to this myself.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Boson and Todd Lammle, that probably was the most common combination back then (I took the 507 or the one before, can't even remember...). The Todd Lammle guide is still very popular, but so is the Cisco press guide. Best option is to get both. The Boson exams are also still pretty popular, but there are better ones, imo Boson exams are nice as an extra.

But above all, though depending a lot on your work experience, a complete study package for the CCNA exam includes a couple of routers and one or more switches.

Good luck, and welcome on board!
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome people!

I have opted for my trusty Lammle book - I do admit that the Cisco Press stuff - although detailed - can be dry and easy to miss information due to the concentration needed - or maybe my old head struggling icon_wink.gif ?

What test exams are better now then btw?

I do have access to 2600s, 2900 and 1600 kit at work but sold my old 2500 router a couple of years ago (EBAY).

Thanks and best wishes.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Todd Lammle hasn't be choosen best tech author for years in a row for nothing, he does have an easier and faster read.
    What test exams are better now then btw?
    That's quite a list, Preplogic, Transcenders, ExamForce, Measure Up, SelfTest are the better ones. They are a bit better in representing the style of the actual cisco exam, though Boson is certainly not bad.
  • Options
    Thanks again!