Options

DSL Wireless and Cisco 2514 Router

MrfixitRightMrfixitRight Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
This may have been covered in another post, if so, I apologize in advance. I currently have one desktop and one laptop. The desktop is connected to the DSL router, (4 port), and the laptop connects wirelessly. I am purchasing a 2nd desktop due to be here sometime next week, for a total of 3 machines. Okay, now to the question. I just purchased a Cisco 2514 Router, (not here yet), with no IOS. That I can get from a friend I suppose. The question is this, I want to set the 2514 up and still have wireless connectivity. This is a 2Wire 1701HG Gateway. According the the tech I contacted via live chat, all I have to do is make sure DHCP is disabled on the 2Wire and connect it straight to the 2514 and let the 2514 disseminate IP addresses to my other machines. Anyone run across anything similar? Doesn't have to be the same kind of Wireless Router I suppose, just as long as the concept is the same, right? I would think you would have to set up a static IP on the WR, right? Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Should I maybe invest in a Switch too? BTW, found the 2514 on E-Bay for $32 + shipping. Just hope it was worth the purchase.
Keyboard not functioning, Press F1 to continue

Anything that goes up, must come down. Ask any Systems Admin.

dell.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Okay folks, is this really that tough? I would like to be able to set something up to get some hands-on at home. The school where I am taking my CCNA classes has a lab set up, but my work schedule doesn't allow me to get down there except on Saturdays, and then only for a couple of hours. Any input on this would really be appreciated. I know a 2514 is not top of the line, but we do with what we can afford.

Thanks

dell.jpg
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    that would probably work, but your d-link would be faster and adding a second router to your network is probably just going to slow things down. if you could go from the DSL modem directly to the 2514 i think you'd be better off...

as far as a switch, i'd pick up a 1912 or simular... it won't be any good for a CCNA lab but it should work fine for home use.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    oliverwoliverw Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is the way i have my home lab setup -

cisco 827 (dsl) router connected to a
    Cheap 10/100 non cisco switch by a ethernet cable. Off that switch i have my wireless router whitch is setup as an AP and has dhcp disabled. Also off the switch i have my pc and a 2610 router which goes of to connect to the rest of my cisco collection. What this enables me to do is telnet to my lab from the outside world but also allows my computer to have good LAN speeds and a fast connection to the outside world. By adding 10mb switches and routers you will slow your network down for no reason.
  • Options
    oliverw wrote:
    This is the way i have my home lab setup -

cisco 827 (dsl) router connected to a
    Cheap 10/100 non cisco switch by a ethernet cable. Off that switch i have my wireless router whitch is setup as an AP and has dhcp disabled. Also off the switch i have my pc and a 2610 router which goes of to connect to the rest of my cisco collection. What this enables me to do is telnet to my lab from the outside world but also allows my computer to have good LAN speeds and a fast connection to the outside world. By adding 10mb switches and routers you will slow your network down for no reason.

Thanks for the feedback. So if I understand, you connect a DSL router to a switch, and off the switch you connect your wireless router and then to the Cisco 2610 and PC, right? I'm looking at a Cisco 2940 that I may be able to pick up for a reasonable price, I hope, would that work for me? Do I need to get 2 routers? I'm already getting the 2514, and the Wireless router I have has 4 ports. Couldn't I just connect from the wireless router to the 2514 and then to the 2940? And if DHCP is disabled on the Wireless router, how do my machines get their IP addresses? Sorry if I'm being dense, just what to get it straigt before I invest in more equipment. Thanks
    that would probably work, but your d-link would be faster and adding a second router to your network is probably just going to slow things down. if you could go from the DSL modem directly to the 2514 i think you'd be better off...

as far as a switch, i'd pick up a 1912 or simular... it won't be any good for a CCNA lab but it should work fine for home use.

Thanks for the feedback! Just wondering how to set this all up. I suppose I would need at least one switch to be able to connect my other pc's to the network, makes sense. How do I set up IP's though? The ISP assigns a dynamic set through my dsl router, and it can change. ??? The tech at ATT said not to set a static on the dsl router, that is just for web hosting customers. But if I have a dynamic set and they change periodically, won't that affect my network host?

ADDED: Just found a Cisco 1548M Micro Switch on eBay starting at 9.00. Would that do the trick for this scenario?

dell.jpg
  • Options
    Sorry been out..

Yeah my dsl router goes straight into a switch and my wireless router also goes into the same switch, plus my pc and home lab also connect to it. I personally went for an office connect switch because its small and quiet. Because my lab is also coming off this switch i can switch it off at night without it interfering with the rest of the network (ie internet).

I've got to say i'm not familar with the 2940, check to see if it can get a recent ios so that it will be useful in your studies and that it can do trunking. I went for two 2924's for my lab (very noisy but can do most things needed for the ccna).

Should have also mentioned that the dsl router will need dhcp configuring to issue ip addresses, thats why your wireless router will need this disabling or you will get conflicts... Everything coming off that switch needs to be on the same subnet!

Hope that helps and isnt to confusing :D
  • Options
    oliverw wrote:
    Sorry been out..

Yeah my dsl router goes straight into a switch and my wireless router also goes into the same switch, plus my pc and home lab also connect to it. I personally went for an office connect switch because its small and quiet. Because my lab is also coming off this switch i can switch it off at night without it interfering with the rest of the network (ie internet).

I've got to say i'm not familar with the 2940, check to see if it can get a recent ios so that it will be useful in your studies and that it can do trunking. I went for two 2924's for my lab (very noisy but can do most things needed for the ccna).

Should have also mentioned that the dsl router will need dhcp configuring to issue ip addresses, thats why your wireless router will need this disabling or you will get conflicts... Everything coming off that switch needs to be on the same subnet!

Hope that helps and isnt to confusing :D

So my DSL router needs to have DHCP enabled? Right now it is disabled and it assigns IP addresses to both my desktop and wireless card in my laptop. So if I enable DHCP on the DSL router, will that create issues? Would I use the address range assigned to the DSL router as my IP addressing for the rest of my network? The dsl router is also a wireless router. (All in one.)Just a little confused, sorry.

dell.jpg
  • Options
    I'll do a diagram tommorow at work once i figure out how to post pics on this forum :D

I was under the impression that you had a wired router and a seperate wireless router but i now understand its an all in one. If thats the case the "all in one" would have dhcp enabled (although you could still assign static addresses if you want). For example

Internet
    All in one router ----switch
    pc

You could cut out the switch all together and have the router plugged into one of the routers switch ports as long as its interface is configured on the same subnet.
  • Options
    oliverw wrote:
    I'll do a diagram tommorow at work once i figure out how to post pics on this forum :D

I was under the impression that you had a wired router and a seperate wireless router but i now understand its an all in one. If thats the case the "all in one" would have dhcp enabled (although you could still assign static addresses if you want). For example

Internet
    pc

You could cut out the switch all together and have the router plugged into one of the routers switch ports as long as its interface is configured on the same subnet.

First of all, thanks for the feed back! I appreciate it! Okay, if I want to network 3 host, (2 desktops and a wireless laptop), wouldn't I need the switch? The router only has one ethernet port. Or could I use the switch ports on the All-in-one and still have the 2514 do my routing? Why would the 2514 be the last in line? Wouldn't it be more like:

Internet
    All-in-one
    switch
    PC/PC/Wireless Laptop

Say I want to create 2 or even 3 subnets, have PC A on subnet 192.168.2.1, PC B on 192.168.2.2, and my laptop on 192.168.3.1, subnet 255.255.255.0. Would that be possible? Or am I limited because of the DHCP enabled on my All-in-one, (which is currently disabled), and the range that the ISP assigns to me? Of course, this would have to run directly off the router, right? Still learning this stuff, and looking at taking the exam in a couple of weeks.

dell.jpg
  • Options
    Internet
    pc

First of all, thanks for the feed back! I appreciate it! Okay, if I want to network 3 host, (2 desktops and a wireless laptop), wouldn't I need the switch? The router only has one ethernet port. Or could I use the switch ports on the All-in-one and still have the 2514 do my routing? Why would the 2514 be the last in line? Wouldn't it be more like:

Internet
    All-in-one
    switch
    PC/PC/Wireless Laptop

Say I want to create 2 or even 3 subnets, have PC A on subnet 192.168.2.1, PC B on 192.168.2.2, and my laptop on 192.168.3.1, subnet 255.255.255.0. Would that be possible? Or am I limited because of the DHCP enabled on my All-in-one, (which is currently disabled), and the range that the ISP assigns to me? Of course, this would have to run directly off the router, right? Still learning this stuff, and looking at taking the exam in a couple of weeks.

Okay, I was looking at the specs on the 2514 again, and maybe I screwed up. It appears that there are 2 AUI ports(DB-15), 2 Serial Ports(DB-60), 1 Console and 1 Aux port. Being still new to this stuff, how do I connect my wireless router, (all-in-one), to the 2514? And if I get a switch, how would that connect up? icon_confused.gif: I already bought a roll-over cable for the console port, but that is just to program the router. Do I need to get something else for this to work?

Thanks!

dell.jpg
  • Options
    malwethmalweth Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    128  64  32  16  |   8   4   2   1
    128 192 224 240  | 248 252 254 255
     25  26  27  28  |  29  30  31  32

• Options
    Looks like you have thought of most things. If your planning on introducing another router at some stage you will need a back to back cable.

Anyway as promised heres my lab as an example. I tried to keep my lab and home network seperate as i keep breaking it when ever i get a "good" idea :D

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=homelabfh2.png
  • Options
    oliverw wrote:
    Looks like you have thought of most things. If your planning on introducing another router at some stage you will need a back to back cable.

Anyway as promised heres my lab as an example. I tried to keep my lab and home network seperate as i keep breaking it when ever i get a "good" idea :D

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=homelabfh2.png

Thanks for the response. Pretty nice lab set up you have. So what I see is that you have a switch between your DSL router and your network. In my instance, my DSL router is already providing the wireless access, so if I put the switch after it, would I lose wireless? Or would I connect the 2514, (wish I had checked into it further before bidding), directly to the 2Wire Gateway router? The 2wire is providing DHCP addressing and wireless access. I can configure it with a static IP address, but not sure I would be able to still use the address range the ISP provided and set up the 2514 to use DHCP.

I have a bid on 2 other items, a 2924XL switch and a 2610XM Router. Hope to win them, then maybe I can do something else with the 2514.(Might make a good trot line anchor. icon_lol.gif )

Malweth, thanks for your feedback and the link. If I have to get an AUI transceiver and they are only rated at 10mbps, would that affect my ADSL? Of course, I am running at 3mbps(downstream), anyway, so probably not.....(think I just answered my own question.)

Thanks all!!

Oliverw, can you get back to me on setting up my network layout, you seem to have it together.

Thanks again!

dell.jpg
  • Options
    oliverw wrote:

Internet
    pc

Oliver..... or anyone!

Okay, I got my 2514 in yesterday and the 1912 in today. Both work great! I booted up the router and it has IOS 12.1, and the switch has Enterprise Edition 9.00.07. Now the question. I want to keep wireless connection from my 2Wire router, (SBC 4 port router with wireless). The router has NAT enabled and a range of 180 + private addresses, or I can assign static IP's, I think? (It shows that DHCP is disabled??). I have the AUI Transceivers and a console cable. If I connect the switch to the DSL router, and then the 2514 to the switch, will my DSL router still dissemnate IP addresses via DHCP? And would I still have wireless access on my laptop? The gateway on my DSL router would be the dg on the switch, right? And the 2514 would just have any IP assigned to e0/25, (the AUI)? Sorry, just trying to figure all this out.

dell.jpg