Options

testing in wall cat 5e and coax cables

BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
I prewired 2 cat 5e and 2 RG 6 quad cables in each outlet with 2 outlets in each room in my new house.

the drywall installers are coming wednesday. my question is this:

is there an "easier" way to test each of the lines for correct continuity than crimping each of them down and using my lan tester? i am sure that's the most thorough but that is a lot of crimping and rj45 connectors i will have to cut off before i connect them to the faceplates, not to mention using up some of the wire as well ( i did leave 18" at the outlet end and 2 ft at the central wiring panel end).

thanks for the help. i am glad that the majority of it is now behind me :D and i can go back to my XP studies
Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So is there an outlet on each end? What kind of cable tester do you have?

The one I have consists of two parts, one sends a signal one wire at a time, while the other receives it. I just put a patch cable coming out of each outlet into each device, and that works fine for me. Just be sure your patch cables test correctly before-hand. You don't want to run new lines just because you had a bad patch cable ;)
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    So your crimping the end and then removing it?

Why not put the jack on that your going to usewith whatever faceplate and then plug a patch cable from your tester into it. Then you dont have to cut it off and its already ready for when the drywall gets done.
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    drywallers will screw up by faceplates when doing their thing. the connectors are expensive. (then again, running a whole new line afterward would be too icon_eek.gif .

thanks for that one. i got a few hours to get 40 lines done.....gonna be close....LOL

thanks again all
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.