Options

Quick Question on Home Labs

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm thinking about purchasing a kit off of ebay and I have been looking around for a while. I was just wanting to know if it was necesary to buy a kit with WIC-1DSU-1T modules installed on the routers. I mean for studying purposes do I even need a T1 card? Will I need to configure a serial RJ-45 conection for the test? I know I need routers with a DB-60 serial interface for back to back serial crossover connections. Just not sure about those RJ-45 serial cards. I just don't want to buy something I'm not going to need or use for studying. Also does it depend on whether you are using a CSU/DSU or just a CSU as far as connections to the router? If one is using a CSU then it should be a RJ-45 connection to the DSU-1T card of the router? And if one is using a CSU/DSU as one single unit then it should have a DB-60 connection to the router correct? Maybe I'm a little mixed up so could anyone enlighten me please. Thanks
There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!

Comments

• Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    You don't need the integrated DSU.

Your Serial Ports are integrated with the 2500 series. If you are looking at modular routers, then all you need is the card with the DB-60 connector.

Get yourself either a DCE and a DTE V.35 pair of cables, or better - one of the crossover serial cables like this - http://www.ciscokits.com/cube/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=25

I like the serial crossover cables much better - easier to manage.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure. I'm probably going to get 2 2610's and 2 3620
    routers. 2 2924 and 1 1900 series switch. That kit runs about a grand plus shipping. That should be plenty of capabilities and technologies to study for CCNA...Then I will only need 1 or 2 more peices of equipment for CCNP.
    Thanks
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!