Options

Home Network Questions

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi there

I currently am in the process of setting up a home network.

I have one pc situated downstairs which is a Intel Celery 2.0Ghz I currently have internet acess with Orange connected with a shoddy USB Speedtouch Modem

Arrrrrrgh and this thing is meant to be giving me 6mb internet access ( yeah right! )

(I don't recommend USB modems they highly suck)

I want to implement a wireless network so that I can get the internet pumped upstairs to my bedroom without running Cat 5 cables through the ceiling.

The plan is to implement either a 802.11G or N ADSL wireless Router i'm probally looking at Linksys
for the downstairs machine this will then give me internet access for upstairs

Now moving on to my bedroom I wish to implement a Nintendo wii now here is my first question do I need a standard wireless NIC to allow me to connect to the internet? or do I need to go out and buy a speacial game NIC or does the Wii come built in with wireless capabilities?

I'm also thinking about investing in a laptop for upstairs to allow me to carry out studies (CCNA) the laptop will probally be dual booted with XP and Ubuntu I can't stand Vista

And I also have my sights set on the new Apple TV device.

My second question is do I also need to invest in a HD-TV for the apple tv? or will it work on a stand TV or LCD???

Many Thanks

Ally
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Now moving on to my bedroom I wish to implement a Nintendo wii now here is my first question do I need a standard wireless NIC to allow me to connect to the internet? or do I need to go out and buy a speacial game NIC or does the Wii come built in with wireless capabilities?

I'm also thinking about investing in a laptop for upstairs to allow me to carry out studies (CCNA) the laptop will probally be dual booted with XP and Ubuntu I can't stand Vista

And I also have my sights set on the new Apple TV device.

My second question is do I also need to invest in a HD-TV for the apple tv? or will it work on a stand TV or LCD???

First Question on the Wii.... The Wii comes with wireless built in... I know this because I have a Wii and have it set up through my wireless netgear router.

The second question I don't really know anything about but I'm sure I could find out when I have some time to research it a bit. Sorry.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    http://www.apple.com/appletv/

It looks like you'll need HDMI or component connections on your TV for it to work with Apple TV. Component connections have been pretty standard for awhile, so if your TV doesn't have them, now might be a good time to upgrade :D
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The most important question is:

How much do you want to spend?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have plenty of money to play with I am going to be implementing the network over a period of time

I am interested in the modification potential of the apple tv hence the reason i'm buying one if I can get Mac 0s 10 running on it with ease then hell saves me shelling out extra £s for a mac mini lol
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "