Options

Book recommendation from cisco Demigods

seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
So if you could recommend 5 cisco books. The kind of book you finish and think "damn i wish i would have found that years ago" What would they be.

I have access to alot of material and its tough trying to wade through it all. I always check amazon and so forth for user ratings but recommendation from someone working in the field carries alot of weight for me.

Although i am starting my CCNA (yes i have the 5th ed sybex) im looking to read any good cisco material.

Comments

• Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well keep going :P
    i got TCP/IP - Jeff Doyle this book ROCKS!
    im planning in bying really soon
    LAN Switching - Kennedy Clark
    like next month

keep going with the good book recomendation plz
  • Options
    I need some CCNP books recomendations derby
    Look i have been studying from
    Cisco.Building.Scalable.Cisco.Internetworks.BSCI.Student guide
    Curriculum 5.0 BSCI
    Routing tcp/ip of jeff doyle...

And of course google and forums....

Im studying for BSCI there is any other book you strongly recomend i should buy? or it should be ok with those?
  • Options
    Derby i have been looking on this ones now you mention....
    Im feel like buying soo many books lol (i kinda want to have a small library of this i like this too much)

I was looking in amazon for the reviews and

1)CCNP Practical Studies: Routing get a really bad review....(you got this one? what do you think of it?)

2)CCNP Practical Studies: Routing Gets a good review guess ill buy this one for sure.

Look i see many interesting books to buy

For CCNA
    Sybex CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide 5th Edition
    Trascender study guide for CCNA + Practice exams
    And the curriculum
    That is what i used to Pass CCNA mainly

For now im studying for CCNP
    For BSCI(im studying this one now)
    Routing TCP/IP Volume I (CCIE Professional Development)-->this book have help me a way too much..............
    BSCI Student guide

For BCMSN(stop studying BSCI for a bit to start with some switching, i dont really want to forget anything of it so im raeding some of the BCMSN to then stop and finish with BSCI that im almost done)
    BCMSN Student guide

Planning to buy

CCNP Practical Studies: Routing
    CCNP Practical Studies: Switching
    Routing TCP/IP, Volume II (CCIE Professional Development) (Hardcover)
    Cisco LAN Switching (CCIE Professional Development series) (CCIE Professional Development)

Do you think those are goods? or there is anything else you think ishould buy but its not in the list? just tell me i will check it out :)

Thanks for the reply
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Thanks Darby,

I was hoping the topic would catch your attention.
    Im going to make sure those are on my bookshelf in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've promised myself that I wouldn't buy any Cisco 'career-development' type of books until at least after I took my CCNA. I've already got my hands full with the study-material for the test, as well as eyeing books and training material for the CCDA. I have to admit, though, I keep 'accidentally' spotting the Routing TCP/IP book by Jeff Doyle every time I go to the bookstore. It's hard to resist wanting to read more, to wander outside the constraints of the exams to study more, but I need to manage my time and take things one step at a time. . . (this is the part of tonight's show where I'm completely fooling myself, and I click the "Buy" button on Amazon, since they have my credit card and shipping information already saved.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    5 Books Huh!

1. Cisco IOS Cookbook --> Love this sucker - 2nd edition is out.

2. Cisco Press - Cisco Router Firewall Security

3. TCP/IP - Jeff Doyle

4. LAN Switching - Kennedy Clark

5. Tie -> Dr. Parkurst's Cisco Press books on OSPF and BGP

Others:

Frame Relay - Cisco Press

Time Management for SysAdmins by Oreilly

Dude, I could go on for a while...

Tell me more about the cookbook. Is it basically a book of all the commands you can run? That's what the name sounds like to me.
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    Well Slowhand at least you have it in your bookstore... The only ciscopress books i can see in the bookstore here are wireless ones... not the one i want tho
    So i always have to buy them trhough internet and wait like 2 or 3 weeks lol so i can have my book or pay a lot to have it in 2 days hehe
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    markzab wrote:
    5 Books Huh!

1. Cisco IOS Cookbook --> Love this sucker - 2nd edition is out.

2. Cisco Press - Cisco Router Firewall Security

3. TCP/IP - Jeff Doyle

4. LAN Switching - Kennedy Clark

5. Tie -> Dr. Parkurst's Cisco Press books on OSPF and BGP

Others:

Frame Relay - Cisco Press

Time Management for SysAdmins by Oreilly

Dude, I could go on for a while...

Tell me more about the cookbook. Is it basically a book of all the commands you can run? That's what the name sounds like to me.

Ever tried to cook a dish and ran into a problem then consulted a cookbook?
    If so, I'll bet it made your dish taste much better...

Kinda how I feel about the Cisco IOS Cookbook.... a nice quick explanation and resolution
    on problem topics.... quick, handy, clearly explained problem solvers..... tasty
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've also got the IOS cookbook and swear by it. The only other book I own (nerd books that is) is my JunOS cookbook (because I know IOS way better than JunOS). The whole cookbook series is fantastic.

I also have to recomend the Sybex CCNA book, 5th edition, by Todd Lammle. On the surface it seems like a newbie book, but it introduces the reader to the world of Cisco internetworking, and understanding the key fundamental concepts within that book is more important than anything else. Without a strong, solid foundation, everything else you learn is worthless.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    markzab wrote:
    from what i've read so far it basically gives you a problem (say access lists - you want to block 10.5.5.103 from accessing the internet), it would show you the commands to do that, and then discuss and explain everything. additionally, there are occasional linux scripts you can get (i think they come on cd as well as printed in the book) to do various tasks, ie, i belive they have one to automatically log into the router and copy configuration or something

kind of a rough explanation, but you can get a free sample from orielly.com.

also, this tcp/ip book you mention, is this the CCIE R/S book or is this something different? that for ccna? will look into it.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    also, this tcp/ip book you mention, is this the CCIE R/S book or is this something different? that for ccna? will look into it.

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1578700418&rl=1

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1578700892&rl=1
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Yeah i'll pick that up after i pick up my CCNA 3 & 4 book/lab book. (probably going to pick those up today icon_sad.gif < expensive)
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    An excellent way to sample/use/read/search some of the best books available on all IT topics...

search.safaribooksonline.com

Subscription price is a little high - but highly valuable.