Beginning MCSA Track

I was wondering which book is the best for studying for Microsoft's 70-270 XP Administration exam? I see so many books on Amazon and am wondering which book seems to be the best!

Thanks! :D
From Security+ book by Sybex:
"One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."

Comments

• james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey, I just started the MCSA track too. I bought the Sybex book, a few of the chapters are a little stale, I'm on the last chapter right now, but overall I think it is a good book. I did look at the MS Press Book, but didn't like the reviews I read up on it, especially at Amazon.
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    james_ wrote:
    Hey, I just started the MCSA track too. I bought the Sybex book, a few of the chapters are a little stale, I'm on the last chapter right now, but overall I think it is a good book. I did look at the MS Press Book, but didn't like the reviews I read up on it, especially at Amazon.
    Is that Sybex book like this one on Amazon - http://www.amazon.ca/MCSA-MSCE-Windows-Professional-Fast/dp/0782143628/ref=sr_1_3/701-6292987-6057127?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178128529&sr=8-3 ?
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also use the MS Press book and work through the exercises.
    james_ wrote:
    Thanks! :D
    dynamik wrote:
    Also use the MS Press book and work through the exercises.
    I was looking for the MS Press one but only found it in French.
  • ortuno2kortuno2k Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,

I also recently began on the MCSA track and I'm still studying for my first exam. I purchased 70-270 from MS Press and I think it's okay so far.
    I was also looking at the Sybex books but choosing this one just felt right.
    Good luck.
  • RayzakRayzak Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use all MS Press Books. They are mostly good. But sometimes they give you excercise to add user accounts trough command prompt and some other unnecessary for specific certification information (maybe for future info). Also many typos. And when I was dode with it and went trough some tests, I realized that books does not cover some of the material... As I went trough the forum, I guess it would be smart to study hard with one book(mspress), and when you done with it, read another book(sybex). That will give you more details and wider view on whole test.
    I got the Sybex book and the MS Press one off of Amazon. I will start working on my 70-270 when they arrive. :)

Thanks for all of your help everyone! :D
  • straightflopstraightflop Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not a big fan of the MSPress book as I pointed out in this thread.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23121

All and all it is ok, but it is over bloated, boring and misleading in some cases. I felt the same with 290. 291 and 293 however i loved the MS press books. Much better.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for everyone.

Best to have two books anyway. I usually do the same.
    "Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it"
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not a big fan of the MSPress book
    however i loved the MS press books.

So you do or don't? Dr. Jeckyl or Mr. Hyde?

icon_lol.gif
    I'm not a big fan of the MSPress book
    however i loved the MS press books.

So you do or don't? Dr. Jeckyl or Mr. Hyde?

icon_lol.gif
    Mr. Heckyl! :D
  • straightflopstraightflop Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ha HA! So anyhting taken out of context sounds bad.

Anyway, i did not like them for 270 and 290 but I did like them for 291 and 293.

Making sense now? :P
    "Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it"