Options

Passed Hardware Today! Advice for Newbies ...

CorgiCorgi Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hooray! I passed the hardware exam today. It was a re-sit so I'm chuffed to have got it second time around.

Now I know diddly squat compared to most of the good people on this site but I thought I'd share what may be useful to those who, like me, have little experience in the IT field.

Firstly, you must be aware of the Exmaination Objectives. This you will see mentioned on most posts and it's there for a good reason -- anything on it you may be tested on!!

I think studying the 'command line' side of things is an idea, as I had two or three questions today on that side of things.

I also found that drawing up a table for things such as troubleshooting helped. This is one of the two big hitters percentage wise on the exam so it makes sense to nail it. I wrote mine down in three columns i.e. What it is , The Problem and The possible cause/way to fix it . An example being:

RAM - RAM count not increasing despite you having added a new stick recently - RAM not seated correctly. Check you have it snapped in correctly.

I also did likewise for installing devices.

Other areas I would concentrate on having taken the exam twice is Networking and Printers. Again, combined, they make up quite a large percentage of the exam. Oh, and expect some 'what would you do if you were the tech in this situation type questions'.

Also, if you can get hold of a old PC to play around with that will help.

Like I said, I'm no expert but this post helps someone I'm glad I posted it. :)

Right, I'm now off down the pub but the hard work begins again next week as I have the O/S exam to prepare for. Have a good weekend folks icon_cool.gif
"It's not the taking part that counts, it's how drunk you get afterwards ..."

Comments

• Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats, good luck with the OS exam
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Sounds like the topics needed, the Exam Objectives will not lie to you...Congrats on the pass and good luck on the OS :D
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!

Corgi wrote:

Firstly, you must be aware of the Exmaination Objectives. This you will see mentioned on most posts and it's there for a good reason -- anything on it you may be tested on!!

Funny when I say this to people I receive hate PMs and nasty comments icon_rolleyes.gif

Seriously, Good for you! I'm happy that you passed.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Funny when I say this to people I receive hate PMs and nasty comments icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe because some people are unappreciative? Or perhaps they were looking for a more concrete (but illegal) answer from you divulging exactly what you encountered on the exam? icon_lol.gif
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations for passing!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif
    Lab first, ask questions later