Options

Setting Up Security On A Wireless Network

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
I was trying to setup security (I tried WPA, WEP then MAC address) on a home network using a Netgear router. I logged into the router from the PC that was directly connected. I set the security phrase, but when I tried to connect to one of the PC's the connection was bouncing, I could never get on. The other laptop tried to connect, but gave me a windows error that I couldn't connect. Do I need to set anything on the wireless cards that are not connected to the router? When I set the router back to no security, all works fine.

Any help on setting this up would be appreciated.
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,041 Admin
    What make and model of access point are you using?

The trick is to get the wireless network working with no security. After that point, you will want to enable one security feature at a time, verifying that each PC has network access before enabling the next feature.

First, enable the firewall on the access point.

Second, turn off the access point's broadcast SSID. This means that your PCs won't be able to see your access point's SSID and you will need to enter it manually into the PC's wireless network configuration software.

Third, enable MAC filtering and enter the MAC address of each wireless NIC into the access point's console menu. If a PC no longer has connectivity, you probably made a mistake in entering its MAC address.

Finally, will want to use WPA-PSK-TKIP (WPA Personal) security, not WEP. Your access point and all of your wireless NICs must support WPA-PSK to use it. Check my blog posting for instruction on how to prepare and configure WPA security.
  • Options
    The wireless network (Netgear WGT624) has been working prior to setting up security. When I tried to set up WPA, it didn't work. I didn't set anything on the PC's with the Wireless cards, I just set up WPA in the router. How do I set up the wireless cards. Do I go to the Wireless card in Network properties?)

When there is no security set up all is working fine.
    "Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."
  • Options
    To obtain the MAC address of the Wirekess card, do you use the IPCONFIG /ALL command. When doing so how can I tell the difference from the LAN NIC and the Wireless card.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To obtain the mac address, yes an ipconfig /all will give it to you. It will list all your network adapters by name, so you can tell which one is your wireless.

Yes to your other question as well. You need to find the properties for your wireless adapter and set up your pass phrase or security there as well. Make sure you check out JD's blog he linked to. He walks through a step-by-step process there.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    The MAC address is printed on a sticker on the NIC. The IPCONFIG /ALL command will also give the MAC address of all NICs on your PC. The network description will contain the make of your wireless NIC and possibly have "802.11" or "wireless" in the description too.

You need to configure WPA on both the your access point and all of the PCs that will share the wireless network. They must all have a profile with the same SSID and WPA passphrase--and, of course, all support WPA-PSK.

The wireless configuration utility that you use on the PCs is where you configure the wireless settings. A wireless NIC comes with a configuration utility, or you can use Windows XP's wireless zero config utility. I tend to stick with the wireless NIC's manufacurer's utility.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your help........

One other question pertaining to the PC's wireless adapter. Two of the PC's have a Netgear USB wireless adapter and the other a PCMCIA Wireless adapter of another manufacturer. Just to be sure I understand I need to access the Netgears USB adapters control panel properties box to set up the WPA settings (I believe this would be in the advanced options) and on the other PC I would have to locate the same for that manufacturer of the wireless adapter and make the changes.
  • Options
    If you do not install the wireless configuration utility that came with the Netgear USB adapters, you will need to instead use the Windows XP wireless zero config section of the Network Connection>Properties box for the adapters. As I said, I typically find that the manufacturer's config utility works better than XP's wireless config.