Options

NTUSER.DAT to NTUSER.MAN..why?

1.Local or roaming profiles are protected from permanent change by renaming NTUSER.DAT to NTUSER.MAN. By renaming the file, you have effectively made the profile read-only, meaning that Windows XP does not save any changes made to the profile when the user logs off.

Above statement is from Exam Cram 2, pg 129.
Questions:

Why do i want to do that?
Is that necessary?
Is it good practice to do that?
If i change settings on roaming profiles, they won't be saved when i log off? Isn't it bothering to set the settings again at the next log on?

2.Which computer configuration techniques are supported by the FAST Wizard? <Select All>

A. Serial port connections <direct RS-232 cable between two computers>
B. Parallel port connections <LPT cable between two computers>
C. USB connections
D. Zip or Jaz drive cartirdges
E. Firewire connection
F. Infrared connections
G. Wireless 802.11 connections.

Answers: A,B,D,F,G

ok..my question is how safe to use FAST with 802.11 standards and Infrared?
so, i can transfer files and settings from the comp in my living room to a comp in my basement using FAST?
i am confused..how does it work?
"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    coldbug wrote:
    1.Local or roaming profiles are protected from permanent change by renaming NTUSER.DAT to NTUSER.MAN. By renaming the file, you have effectively made the profile read-only, meaning that Windows XP does not save any changes made to the profile when the user logs off.

Above statement is from Exam Cram 2, pg 129.
    Questions:

Why do i want to do that?
    Is that necessary?
    Is it good practice to do that?
    If i change settings on roaming profiles, they won't be saved when i log off? Isn't it bothering to set the settings again at the next log on?

Most of the time you won't use a Mandatory Profile unless you are setting up something like a Kiosk or Public Profile. You don't want people making changes to the desktop or any other profile changes that you have to constantly have to come back and clean up later on. I personally use the workstations in my training lab. I want each machine to have a clean slate each time another use logs in. For someone's permanent workstation or laptop you don't want to do this unless you want to piss them off. Once the profile is created for the first time it's set to that state if you change to .man. You can drop whatever you want to the desktop and make any changes you want but as soon as you log off and back in it will revert to the saved state.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php

This page has a lot of details on using the FAST wizard, you might try browsing through there.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680