Options

Stop hardware install

kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
What do i do to stop windows (xp) from automatically instally network hardware and devices???
There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turn of Plug and Play service? Maybe?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Stand Alone or Domain Client?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
    good question. Both i guess
    There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Turn of Plug and Play service? Maybe?

That would be the right way to go. Turn off both the "Plug and Play" and the "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" services. Setting them to manual start will probably prevent the system from automatically detecting and installing hardware, setting them to disabled will absolutely prevent the system from installing new hardware as soon as it's plugged in. You can still install things manually, Windows just won't prompt you as soon as the cable touches the port.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    kenny504 wrote:
    What do i do to stop windows (xp) from automatically instally network hardware and devices???

As mentioned disabling the service will work but can i ask what you are trying to achieve at the mo?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools