Options

Simulate slow DSL connection.

heyheywhatheyheywhat Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
What would I need to simulate a DSL link between 2 servers on different sites? Id like to be able to simulate a link between two sites with replication of AD, DHCP, DNS and email traffic going across the link to the servers. Is it expensive to do this in my home lab?

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    install 2 phonelines in your house and then get dsl connections to each one and then hook on server to one connection and the other to the other connection. or something icon_lol.gif
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    I don't remember if this is possible or not...

Just hook up two devices using a simple straight-through cable. Then, enter into the devices' configurations and adjust the "bandwidth" of the connected ports to resemble a DSL connection. (A generic ADSL connection today typically ranges around 1.5-4 Mbps download and 100-500 Kbps upload, I believe) Unfortunately, this only replicates the speed, not the dial-up environment.
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    he-manhe-man Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you have access to any routers? If you plan on any cisco certs now might be the time to start your lab with a couple of cheap 2500's (£45 each), back to back and hey presto!