Options

Server 2003 R2

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
I am looking at upgrading some servers with the R2 release. Is there anyone who has made this move and what steps are required and is ther anything i need to be aware of, can i still run my DFS from my 2003 server onto 2003 R2?

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have installed R2 on a few machines lately. The thing to be aware of is that it can turn on DEP and screw a few things up.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Data Execution Prevention.

You shouldn't have any problems, but if you have any servers running non microsoft apps that are poorly written you should be especially watchful.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:

You shouldn't have any problems, but if you have any servers running non microsoft apps that are poorly written you should be especially watchful.

yes, I had the similar experience when installing R2. It was throwing me for a loop crash.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Excuse my lack of knowledge but is R2 free? where can i read more about R2? and is it a straight forward install?
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    If you're part of the Software Assurance from MS (or if your company has the software assurance from MS), then you can download R2 from the MS site. It isn't free as such as you/your company pays for the licencing on a yearly basis.

Installation for me was easy. If you install Windows 2k3 from fresh then it's 2 cd's, however if you already have Windows 2k3 installed on a server then just run the second CD and it'll "upgrade" Win2k3 to Win2k3 R2. One thing that I had to do was to run forestprep and domainprep in order to include some of the new features of R2 in run/work with AD (but that was a piece of cake to do).

-ken
  • Options
    thanks for the info
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:

How about Microsoft Server Management Tools? Run some of them, and .... bang, they disappear icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007