Options

Trick Questions

wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
So I was curious if trick questions are supposed to be the norm in these tests? I only ask because sometimes I see questions on these prep tests that completely feel misleading. Like asking how many pins your typical dimm would have, so of course I'm going to awnser with 168 / 184, and I get it wrong because aparently they want you think inside the terms of EVERY type of dimm out there. And seeing as how in the cybex and meyers books they don't really stress that fact as compared to just telling you about the different versions of RAM. So am I in the right or wrong with fearing the test based purely on the fact that even though I know what I know from my studies, I can get thrown completely misleading questions and fail based on that fact alone?
Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.

Comments

• Options
    blackmage439blackmage439 Member Posts: 163
    Don't sweat the tests. The most ambiguous questions you will see will be about moral dilemas. For example, a question states: "You just broke your friend's CD drive while working on it. He doesn't know yet. What should you do? 1. Blame it on hardware failure. 2. Be honest and offer to purchase a replacement. Etc..."

If you can score well on practice tests (both on this site and elsewhere), know the material in your textbook (just have a general understanding at least, you don't need expert knowledge of EVERY subject), and enter the test with a good attitude, you will do fine.

Just run a search on these forums for posts made by me about the A+ exams. Then you'll see what I'm talking about.

Good luck!
    "Facts are meaningless. They can be used to prove anything!"
    - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Some questions can be misleading. Welcome to the wonderful world of IT certification. I have yet to have a test that doesn't have some oddly worded questions.
    As far as the A+ is concerned, most of the "think" questions won't involve facts about components (e.g. how many pin-outs does such-and-such CPU have, what's the speed of a certain kind of SCSI, etc.). Most of the tricky ones are troubleshooting. There are always two obviously wrong answers. Usually one of these is a totally ridiculous answer that is silly. It's the remaining two that are sometimes tricky. Usually you want to pick the one that is the first troubleshooting action that you would take, even if both are legit ways to address the problem.
    Taking a variety of different practice exams is extremely helpful.
    I wouldn't over-worry about it though.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
    Thanks for the support guys. And morality questions on a test? Cause I'm sorry, but I'd be the one to give the awnser that is reminicent of, tell the truth and buy him a new drive.
    Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    This is why I recommend people focus on knowing the objectives. Practice exams are ok (in some cases) for a status check to see where you do stand before starting prep. However too much faith placed in exams starts to lead to people second guessing what they 'DO' know.

Review the objectives, relax...you are just about ready aren't you ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    rocker_baller05rocker_baller05 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey i had that question on the exam. xxxxx xxxxxxxxxx. this may seem like an obvious answer but can u guys help me out with the right choice?

[edit] please do not post 'exam' questions. Another post of your needed to be removed because of the content of the post. If you need to gain a better understanding of the material, please ask general questions about a subject, but do not quote questions. Thanks PW