Options

WSUS 3

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
Has anyone installed WSUS 3 yet? i have installed it on my vmware test network and configured the group policies and followed the setup info but i cannot see any servers or workstations in any of the groups i have created. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep. I went ahead and installed and have now pushed it out organization wide. Very nice application.
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    All that I know is... it better help alleviate some of the performance issues relating to the whole wuauclt.exe and svchost.exe fiasco.
  • Options
    oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    theseman wrote:
    All that I know is... it better help alleviate some of the performance issues relating to the whole wuauclt.exe and svchost.exe fiasco.
    We've been hit particularly hard by this lately - 15/120 clients at our site. Using Process Explorer, I found that if the wuauserv service is killed inside that svchost.exe process, the problem temporarily stops. WSUS 3.0 helped in some cases with CPU utilzation, but not in others.
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    oldbarney wrote:
    theseman wrote:
    We've been hit particularly hard by this lately - 15/120 clients at our site. Using Process Explorer, I found that if the wuauserv service is killed inside that svchost.exe process, the problem temporarily stops. WSUS 3.0 helped in some cases with CPU utilzation, but not in others.

The "fix" that we implemented on our network was:

-Applying the lastest MS hotfix for this issue (KB927891)
    -Installing the 3.0 client on all workstations

This works on all the newer machines that run anything more than 512MB of ram, but older 256MB machines still struggle when running a wuauclt.exe /detectnow from cmd prompt.

Heres the technet blog explaining this....

http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archive/2007/04/28/update-on.aspx
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    we have also been hit with this issue as well. we are currently implementing the hotfix and wsus 3.0 shortly.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    We have roughly 700 machines at work and i am thinking of installing SQL 2005 express instead of using MSDE and allowing 70GB for storing the updates, is this enough disc space you think?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just checked mine. I have about 450 computers/servers managed on my WSUS server, all workstations are XP Pro, servers are mostly W2K3, with a pair of W2K servers left, and everyone uses O2K3. Only English updates. Been running WSUS for a little over a year in it's current configuration.

I am storing the updates on a 70GB partition and currently using 18GB of it.

HTH.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk, thanks for that, i may go down to 50GB and make my managers day!! I have just installed WSUS 3 at home before i go in and install it live but i have a problem whereby i cannot see any of my servers or workstations. I have configured Group Policy as by the letter but no joy, any ideas??
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    billybob01 wrote:
    sprkymrk, thanks for that, i may go down to 50GB and make my managers day!! I have just installed WSUS 3 at home before i go in and install it live but i have a problem whereby i cannot see any of my servers or workstations. I have configured Group Policy as by the letter but no joy, any ideas??

You need to use Group Policy or the registry on each workstation or server to tell it to use the local WSUS server.

In the registry you edit the following keys:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "WUServer"="http://servername"
    "WUStatusServer"="http://servername"

In Group Policy you would go to Computer Configuration>Admin Templates>Windows Components>Windows Updates.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You mentioned your groups earlier, are they even showing under un-assigned? How have you configured group membership? Manual or automatic? Also make sure there are no IP filters/Firewall settings blocking access from those clients to Port 80 on your WSUS server.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    I have made 3 groups Servers, Workstations and Test which all show up under the unassigned icon. I have also setup group policy but no joy. One thing i have noticed is that no machines can get onto the internet at the moment, my new ISA 2004 installation is giving me a headache!! even though i applied an access all access rule that allows everything outbound to external!! Any ideas?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had the same thing happen... then I relized that I forgot to to into Options to configure the Groups in the WSUS Console for Client Side Targeting (I don't remember the exact particulars, but if you look at the server options, it's there).

If client side targeting is specified make sure your policies are applying to the client workstations correctly (use gpresult)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    WSUS 3.0 is great by the way. I just deployed it to our Corporate location with no problems. I have my old WSUS environment still onilne until I get time to service the remote sites and I have the master server for WSUS 2.0 syncing with my new WSUS 3.0 server which is cool.

I like that you can have multiple groups for a single computer too... very cool.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Where in Options do i change to client side targeting?? I know by default WSUS is set up for server side targeting but where do i change this option???