Options

Cabling Questions

QuestionTimeQuestionTime Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi:

Does anyone know 10BaseT , T = Twisted pair but what is the maximum lenght you can extend the cable from you router to a computer NIC ?

Its does not look like 10Base2 , 10Base5 indicate 200 meters and 500 meters.

I am confussed in here.

Thank you for some help

QuestionTime
The better a man is , the more mistakes he will make . Peter Drucker!

Comments

• Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    The best place to find that information would be google,

Try searching 10BaseT maximum length, or similar. It will return lots of good links I would bet!!

Travis
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    100 meters or 328 feet.

Should be listed in either Network+ or CCNA study material. Don't know if it would be covered by A+ or not.

Georgemc
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    QuestionTimeQuestionTime Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thank you guys !! Not sure if A+ hardware exams needs it.. but its better to know the difference.
    The better a man is , the more mistakes he will make . Peter Drucker!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    thank you guys !! Not sure if A+ hardware exams needs it.. but its better to know the difference.

Generally cable lenghts are referenced in Meters, so 300M is generally what you'll want to know before adding a repeater/booster etc... However in real life you'll likely find it's a little less due to other interfernce.

And, I cannot imagine why you'll need this for A+ exams. It doesn't hurt to know, but this is a NET+ objective.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Network cables (the whole lot of them) are on Network+ books. I dont remember questions on it on my A+, but wouldnt be surprised, specially as a check that people actually do have a clue
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003